Veterans Educational Benefits

BMCC's Veterans Certifying Official is located in the Student Financial Assistance Office in Morrow Hall at BMCC Pendleton.

General Information about Eligibility

In order to be eligible to receive VA Educational Benefits veterans must:

  • Take the BMCC placement test, or provide OFFICIAL grade transcripts from prior colleges, to determine proper course placement in math and/or writing courses PRIOR to enrollment.
  • Be assigned an academic advisor.
  • Be pursuing a BMCC degree or certificate.

How to apply

First time applicants

(Note: If eligible for benefits, the Veterans Administration (VA) will send you a "Certificate of Eligibility" letter. You will provide a copy of this letter to the Veterans Certifying Official along with other documents described below.)

VA Education Chapters

  • Chapter 30 - Discharged from Active Duty
  • Chapter 31 - VA Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Chapter 1606 - Selected Reserve
  • Chapter 1607 - Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP)
  • Chapter 35 - Dependents Education Assistance

Additional Information

Applicants must also provide the Veterans Certifying Official with the following:

Send all information to the Service Center at BMCC, Attn: Veterans Certifying Official, PO Box 100, Pendleton, OR 97801. Please allow 2 to 3 weeks for processing and certification of your enrollment to the VA. Upon receipt of the certification, the VA may take additional time to process your payments. Typically, students are paid monthly for the prior month’s enrollment. For example, you will receive payment in the month of October for September class days, and in November you will receive payment for October. Tuition will be due before you receive your first VA payment. If you are unable to pay your tuition in full by the due date, you may set up a Tuition Installment Plan with the Pendleton Service Center (or the center or COD near you) on or before the due date. If you cannot make payments, late fees will be added to the cost of your tuition if you do not drop the courses by the specified date. Tuition due dates, as well as add/drop dates are posted on our web site, in the student handbook, and at various locations around the Pendleton and outlying centers.

Advance Pay Request

Veterans that need financial assistance to begin classes may request Advance Pay for the first term. Requests must be made 4 to 6 weeks prior to the beginning of the term. With Advance Pay, veterans are paid for the first two months of the term; however, the VA pays based on the number of days the veteran was enrolled for a given month. There will be a delay in receiving payment after receiving an advance. For example, if Fall term begins the last week of September, the advance paycheck would be for part of September and all of October, and no further payments would be received until November. The advance check is sent directly to the BMCC Pendleton Service Center, (541) 278-5747.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

  • Maintain a 2.0 cumulative grade point average.
  • Probation status will occur if a student’s cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 or if they do not successfully complete the minimum number of credits according to their certified enrollment level (Full-time = 12+ credits; ¾ time = 9-11 credits; ½ time = 6-8 credits; ¼ time = less than 6 credits).
  • Suspension status will occur if:
    • A student completes two consecutive terms below the minimum number of credits according to their certified enrollment level (Full-time = 12+ credits; ¾ time = 9-11 credits; ½ time = 6-8 credits; ¼ time = less than 6 credits).
    • A student receives grades of all W’s, F’s, NCA's, INC’s, or any combination of these grades in a given term.
    • If a student’s cumulative GPA is less than a 2.0 for two consecutive terms.
  • If suspended, the entitlement will be interrupted until the student completes one term using their own resources. After successfully completing one term, at least ½ time (6 – 8 credits) on their own, students may request reinstatement and back pay.

Program Changes

Veterans who will be changing their degree program must contact the Veterans Certifying Official immediately. A Request for Change of Program must be completed and submitted to the Veterans Certifying Official to forward to the VA.

Transfer Students

Students must provide official grade transcripts from all colleges or postsecondary schools previously attended. Transcripts should be sent to:

Blue Mountain Community College,
Records Office,
PO Box 100,
Pendleton, OR 97801

It is the responsibility of the veteran to submit a Transcript Evaluation Request Form to the Records office at the Pendleton Service Center. In addition,a Request for Change of Program form must be completed and returned to the Veterans Certifying Official. The Veterans Certifying Official will forward all changes to the VA. The Veterans Certifying Official may certify up to two terms in a “Pending” status while awaiting completion of the transcript evaluation. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure the Veterans Certifying Official is notified when the evaluation is completed. Failure to have transfer transcripts evaluated within two terms may result in an overpayment of benefits which the student may be required to repay to the VA.

Certification Periods

The Veterans Certifying Official will certify based on the BMCC Official Academic Calendar and may certify a veteran’s enrollment for up to one academic year. A new Enrollment Certification Form must be completed each year.

Some courses vary in length. The Veterans Certifying Official will certify enrollment according to each course’s beginning and ending dates, in accordance with VA Regulation 1. This may affect the rate of pay. If you have questions or would like further information, please contact the Veterans Certifying Official.

Pay Table

Rate of pay depends on the Veteran’s Chapter, enrollment level, and other VA incentive plans. Any changes during the term will be reported to the VA and they may adjust the monthly allowance. It is the veteran’s responsibility to report any changes to the Veterans Certifying Official within 10 days.

Pay rates are updated each year, usually in October. Veterans may be eligible for additional tuition assistance or “kickers”. The VA can provide information with regard to additional eligibility. Pay tables are available for review at For specific information regarding payment, eligibility, or “kickers”,contact the Department of Veteran’s Affairs at 1-888-442-4551.

Other Assistance to Veteran's

Returning Veterans Enrollment Incentive

In addition to certifying standard veteran’s benefits, BMCC offers "Returning Veterans Tuition Discount" for service men and women and their dependents. A Veteran is any member of the armed services, that is currently on active duty or who has been honorably discharged within the last 18 months. Veterans will register in the same manner as all other students.

  • The student participating in the returning veterans program will have the first year of tuition for credited classes reduced by 50% unless they are funded by the Montgomery GI Bill or Tuition assistance. Individuals funded by these other programs are not eligible for BMCC Returning Veterans Tuition Waivers.
  • Fees and AFEES (A Fee For Education, i.e., fees for non-credit classes) are not available for waiver.
  • Depending on when the student commences course work, the year will begin with the start of the first term and end after four consecutive terms. If a student chooses to attend less than the four given terms, his/her eligibility is still exhausted after the fourth consecutive term.
  • If the veteran is recalled to active duty, he/she will have the choice of continuing course work via distance education or restarting the program upon his/her return.
  • To receive a tuition waiver, a veteran must present a current identification card or discharge papers (DD214) to the Financial Aid Office along with the completed Returning Veterans Tuition Waiver Form.

For additional information, please contact the BMCC Financial Aid Office at (541) 278- 5747.

Certification is based upon the beginning and ending dates of your courses. The VA considers 6 credits in 6 weeks to be a “Full-Time”schedule. Some courses during the summer term are 6 weeks, others are 8 and 10 weeks. Depending on the beginning and ending dates of your courses you may be considered a full-time student for a portion of the term (first 6 weeks), and part-time for the remaining 2 to 4 weeks of the term.