Placement, Advising, and Registration FAQs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Placement Assessment and Testing


How do I get started at BMCC?

Go to, WolfWeb.  Select the Getting Started button and then select the profile that best describes you. If you are a transfer student, be sure to have your other college transcripts sent to BMCC. Next steps are to:

  • Applyfor financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  BMCC's federal school code is 003186.
  • Take the placement assessments;
  • Complete our online New Student Orientation (you will receive the link to complete this as soon as you apply for admission).

"Getting Started" in the catalog (which is available online) outlines these steps and will refer you to pages in the catalog that go into more detail about each of these steps.

When do I register for classes?

Registration information is posted on our website at; it is also in the front of the course catalog; and is available from the front counter at each BMCC location.

What if I am not here when BMCC starts registration?

If you have not moved to Pendleton yet, or are taking Distance Education classes and live some distance away from campus, special arrangements can be made to have a phone advising session. Since registration is online, you can do it from anywhere you have internet access.

Where do I register for classes?

You can register online on our website at Information will be available on the web to show you how and will also be covered in our online New Student Orientation.

I don't have a computer at home. How am I supposed to register?

Computer kiosks are available at all BMCC campuses and branches for your use. If you do not live near a BMCC site, most public libraries have computers available for the public's use.

How long does it take to do the placement assessment?

There are actually three different assessments. The math, the reading, and the writing assessment can take up to 3 hours to complete. Assessments are self-paced and may not take that long to complete. Students are encouraged to do them all at once, but if you absolutely cannot be here that long, then you can start and finish later, or just do one assessment at a time.

Do I need to take placement assessment and why?

There are a variety of placement options for placement in math, reading, and writing.  Please see placement options on our website at

What if I have taken a placement assessment at another college or have taken the prerequisite math and writing classes at another college?

In most cases we can allow the assessments or classes taken at another college to meet the prerequisites for our math and writing classes. You can get a copy of the placement assessment or an unofficial transcript from the college and attach it to a completed "Transfer Prerequisite Override" form which can be found on the BMCC website under "Forms for Students".  Your request will be reviewed within 1 - 2 business days. 

Do I need to make an appointment to take the placement assessment or to have a class test proctored?

No.  You may take your placement assessments Monday - Thursday from 8 - 5 p.m. and Fridays from 10 - 5 pm at the Pendleton Testing Center.  If you plan to take your assessments at another BMCC location be sure to contact them to find out their testing center hours. Note: During the summer months all BMCC locations are closed on Fridays.  

Do I need to bring anything with me when I come in to take a test?

You will be required to show a valid (not expired) picture ID prior to testing. If permitted, calculators will be provided.

What are the placement assessment and testing center hours?

For testing hours at any BMCC location other than Pendleton, call that location directory or refer to the hours posted on the center website.

Does it cost anything to take a test in the Testing Center?

In most cases no, however, there may be a charge to proctor tests from other colleges, or for agencies. For more information, go to our Testing Center webpage.

How do I get an advisor?

Once you have completed your online admission application, completed your placement assessments or had your assessments waived, and completed our online new student orientation, you will meet with your Success Coach.  During your meeting your success coach they will assign your faculty advisor.

If you are a returning student and need an advisor or would like to switch advisors, contact our Student Success Center located in Morrow Hall on the Pendleton campus. 

Who is my Academic Advisor?

If you view your printable student schedule, your Advisor's name will show in the top right hand corner, or any Service Center or Success Center staff can look this information up for you.

What does meeting with an Academic Advisor mean?

Once you have selected your degree intent, whether it is Business Administration, an Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer, or Undecided... you will communicate one-on-one with an Academic Advisor and together you will ensure that the courses that you have selected to take will help you progress towards our educational goal.

What if I'm not seeking a degree or certificate?

If you are not seeking a degree or certificate from BMCC, ensure that your degree intent in WolfWeb is set to "Just Taking Classes". You will not need to meet with an academic advisor. 

What should I do before my Success Coach Appointment?

Review the current class schedule, be thinking about what career's interest you, and come prepared to chat.

What happens during the Success Coach Appointment?

During the appointment, your Success Coach will ask you questions about:

  • Career Possibilities
  • Interests
  • Time Availability
  • Preferences regarding Class Types (distance education, on-campus)
  • What you'd like to do after you have achieved your educational goal

What do I do after meeting with my Success Coach?

Register for the classes that you selected when meeting with your success coach.  You will do this by accessing the WolfWeb. If you have questions or trouble registering contact your Success Coach or the staff at our Service Center can assist you.