Oregon Residency Requirements

Your residency status determines your tuition rate for your classes. The college has three tuition schedules: in-state, out-of-state, and international. For purposes of determining tuition rates and receiving state reimbursement, BMCC is required by law to establish a residency policy.
You may petition for residency if at least one of the in-state criteria is met and you provide at least two of the documents listed on this page. Petitions must be made in writing and must be d be submitted, along with at least two of the documents listed below to the Service Center located on the Pendleton campus for approval.
In-State Criteria (student must meet at least one):
  • Student must have maintained a permanent address in Oregon for at least 90 continuous days prior to the first day of the term.
  • Student is a resident of Washington, Idaho, Nevada, Montana, or California.
  • Student is or a member of your immediate family holds title to or is otherwise purchasing property that is claimed as a permanent Oregon residence.
  • Student or your parents (if you are a dependent student) filed an income tax statement with the Oregon Department of Revenue for the most recent reporting year.
  • Student is a veteran who established residency in Oregon within one year of separation or discharge from the service.
  • Student is a dependent of parents or legal guardians who have established permanent residency within Oregon.
Documents (student must provide at least one):
  • An Oregon hunting or fishing license that was issued at least ninety days before the beginning of the term.
  • A copy of deed of title, mortgage agreement, or recent county property tax statement indicating ownership or purchase by the student or the immediate family. If ownership is by anyone other than the student, a document verifying the relationship between the student and an owner must be presented.
  • A current Oregon voter precinct card.
  • A copy of a signed Oregon income tax statement filed during the latest reporting year or payroll records from an Oregon firm indicating ninety continuous days of residency in Oregon.
  • A copy of an official Oregon high school transcript or GED scores earned in the state of Oregon.
  • A copy of a valid Oregon driver’s license (front and back of license).
Out-of-State Criteria
With the exceptions listed above, you must pay out-of-state tuition if you have listed your permanent address as being outside of Oregon or if you listed your parents’ address as outside Oregon and you are claimed as a dependent by your parents on their income tax report; or if your state of legal residence is other than Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, Montana, or California. If you are an Alaska resident and you wish to receive the Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend while attending BMCC, you must maintain your out-of-state residency status.
International Criteria
If you are a citizen of another country and are attending BMCC on a student visa, you must apply for international student admission, provide supporting documentation as outlined in the application, and pay the international tuition rate.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)