Preparing for an Advising Appointment
Student’s Guide to Preparing for an Advising Appointment
So that the advising appointment will be beneficial, preparation is necessary. Doing the following prior to your appointment should improve your advising experience.
- Review your BMCC catalog for program/graduation requirements.
- If you are planning on transferring to a four year institution, gather all program/graduation requirement information for that school to take to your advising appointment.
- Look over the BMCC term schedule in the flyer that comes to your residence in the mail or go to the BMCC web site, click on College Resources, and then click on Class Schedules.
- Make tentative class choices before seeing your advisor. Be sure to include alternative selections. Check for prerequisites. You may even want to develop a trial schedule to take with you.
- Review your academic records by going to the Wolf Web, login, and under “Additional Resources” you can go to “Most Recent Term Grades” or under “Requesting Transcripts” you can print your entire unofficial transcript.
- Gather all paper resources to take with you to your advising appointment.
- Make a list of questions to ask your advisor. Think about the concerns you would like to discuss with your advisor.
- You can print your own degree audit by going on line to https://bmcc.advisor.conclusivesystems.net. Review your graduation requirements or look at “what if” scenarios if you are considering changing majors.