Federal and State Aid

BMCC participates in the following types of federal and state aid:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • Federal Work Study
  • Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
  • Federal Direct PLUS (Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students)
  • Oregon Opportunity Grant (OOG)

Applying for Federal and State Aid: Students must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year in order to receive aid. Students may apply online at www.fafsa.gov, or they may complete and submit a paper application. Be sure to include BMCC’s Federal School Code (003186) so that BMCC receives the FAFSA information. Applying online can reduce the amount of time for processing financial aid by approximately eight weeks. Note: January 1 is the first day of the financial aid application period for the next academic year. Refer to the “Dates & Deadlines” link on the BMCC Financial Assistance Webpage for more details.

Disbursement of Aid: Aid is disbursed (credited to student accounts) one week prior to the start of a term so that students can access their funds for the purchase of books in the BMCC bookstore. If students have a credit balance on their student account after all charges have been covered, including any books they have purchased, they will receive a check for the balance of their financial assistance funds. Checks are mailed by the 2nd Friday of the term. For actual disbursement dates, refer to the “Dates & Deadlines” link on the BMCC Office of Student FinancialAssistance Webpage for more details. 
Aid-Ineligible Courses: For some degree programs, certain courses may not count toward financial aid eligibility. Students should work closely with their academic advisors and take only courses that apply toward their stated degree intent. 
Mid-Year Transfer Students: If you transfer to BMCC during the academic year and received financial aid at the previous college, you should be aware that the BMCC financial assistance office will adjust your award amount accordingly to avoid an overpayment. For most mid-year transfer students, the federal or state aid award
at BMCC will be reduced by the amount of aid received at the previous college.
Taking Courses at BMCC and Another Institution (Coenrollment): If you are planning to take courses from BMCC
and another college during the same term, you must complete a consortium agreement form and provide proof of registration for each class taken at another college. Once processed, the consortium agreement is valid for one academic year; however, you must submit proof of registration each term of that year for each college from which you plan to take courses. Forms and additional information regarding co-enrollment are at www.bluecc.edu/students_fa_dual.
Second Degree: If you have received an associate’s, bachelor’s, or master’s degree and wish to receive financial aid from BMCC, you must complete a Length of Time (LOT)/Second Degree appeal and submit it, along with appropriate documentation, to the Office of Student Financial Assistance. You will be notified in writing of the decision made. This process does not guarantee an award. Depending upon the kind of degree that you already hold, your aid, if awarded, may be limited to loans.
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP): The Office of Student Financial Assistance is responsible for ensuring that all students who receive federal and state aid are demonstrating satisfactory progress toward the completion of their educational programs. The office will review a student’s SAP before making awards each 
academic year and again at the end of each term. The standards of SAP apply for all state and federal financial assistance programs including Federal Pell Grant, Federal-Work Study (FWS), Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Direct Loans (Stafford and PLUS) and Oregon Opportunity Grant (OOG).
Students are evaluated on all of the following standards:
  • Cumulative Credit Completion Rate (cCCR).
  • Cumulative Grade Point Average (cGPA).
  • Maximum time frame (150% Rule).
Students must meet all three progress requirements (cCCR, cGPA, and be within the maximum time frame) to remain in good standing. Students not meeting the requirements will be placed on Financial Aid Warning or Suspension status during their next term of enrollment and will receive, in writing from the Office of Student Financial Assistance, a notice of such standing. For additional information regarding this policy and for more
detailed information about financial aid, please visit BMCC’s Website or contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance. 
Total Withdrawal and Return of Federal Aid: If you withdraw from or quit attending all classes in a term before completing more than 60.01 percent of the term for which you received aid, BMCC will recalculate your aid award based upon the percentage of the term completed. For example, if you withdraw after completing only 30 percent of the term, you will have earned only 30 percent of your federal aid received (other than Federal Work Study). You and/or BMCC, as determined by college and federal rules, must return (repay) to the federal government the
remaining 70 percent of the federal funds received. This policy applies to all students receiving federal Title IV aid who withdraw, drop out, or are suspended from BMCC. Types of federal Title IV funds that students can receive while attending BMCC included in this policy are: Federal Pell Grant, FSEOG, and Federal Direct
Stafford Loans.
For additional information regarding this policy and for more detailed information about financial aid, please visit BMCC’s Website, click on “Students,” “Financial Assistance,” then “Policies.” 

(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)