Military Educational Benefits


Military Educational Benefits
BMCC assists veterans and family members of veterans with three primary types of benefits:
  • United States Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits – Students apply for these benefits through the VA, and the BMCC Financial Assistance Office certifies them. Benefits are paid directly to the student by the VA.
  • Oregon Veteran Educational Aid Program (Tuition Assistance) – Students apply for this benefit through the State Veterans’ Affairs Office, and the benefit is paid by the state directly to the school to be applied towards the students’ tuition and fees.
  • BMCC tuition waivers for military and qualifying family members – students apply for one of these three waivers through BMCC. Forms are available on the BMCC Website. The BMCC Registrar’s Office reviews these requests. 
Since each of these three types of benefits are administered by different agencies and/or offices, they have distinctly different processes for accessing. The following is a guide for requesting and receiving each of these benefits:
VA Educational Benefits:
General Information about applying: In order to receive VA educational benefits, veterans must:
  • Take the BMCC placement test to determine proper course placement before enrollment
  • Be assigned an academic advisor
  • Be pursuing a BMCC degree or certificate 
To begin receiving educational benefits, veterans must:
  • Apply for VA Education Benefits online
  • Complete 2011-2012 Enrollment Certification
  • Read the Statement of Rights and Responsibilities Additional documents needed:
  • Those discharged from active duty also provide a copy of ‘Certificate of Eligibility’ letter from the VA or DD-214
  • Active members of the National Guard and Reserves also provide a copy of their Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)
Return forms to:
Mail: BMCC Veterans Certifying Official,
P.O. Box 100, Pendleton, OR 97801
Fax: 541-278-5889
Processing: Please allow two to three weeks for processing and certification of your enrollment to the VA. Benefits are paid directly to the student. It is important that you are aware of tuition payment deadlines and payment options.
Pay Table: Rates of pay depend on the veteran’s chapter and on his or her enrollment level. BMCC will inform the VA of any enrollment changes during the term, which may result in adjustments to the monthly allowance. It is the veteran’s responsibility to report any changes to the veterans certifying official.
Pay rates are updated each year, usually in October. Veterans may be eligible for additional tuition assistance, or “kickers.” Contact the VA directly at 1-888-442-4551 for specific payment questions.
Chapter 30 - Discharged from Active Duty
Chapter 1606 - Selected Reserve
Chapter 1607 - Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
Chapter 35 - Survivors’ and Dependents’ Education Assistance
Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill
Advance Pay Request: Veterans who need financial assistance to begin classes may request advance pay for the first term. Requests must be made four to six weeks before the beginning of the term. With advance pay, veterans are paid for the first two months of the term; however, the VA payments are based on the number of days that the veteran was enrolled for a given month. For example, if fall term begins the last week of September, the advance paycheck would be for part of September and all of October. The advance check is sent directly to the BMCC Business Office.
Certification Periods: The veterans certifying official will certify based on BMCC’s official academic calendar. Some courses vary in length. The veterans certifying official will certify enrollment according to each course’s beginning and ending dates, which may affect the rate of pay.
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP): The veterans certifying official at BMCC is responsible for ensuring that all students who receive VA benefits are demonstrating satisfactory progress toward the completion of their educational programs. The office will review a student’s SAP before making awards each academic year and again at the end of each term. The standards of SAP are the same as those for all state and federal financial assistance programs listed above.
Oregon Veterans - Tuition Assistance
The Oregon Department of Veterans’ Affairs provides educational benefits for pursuit of approved training courses.
Benefits will be paid for as many months as the veteran spent in active service, up to a maximum of 36 months. Veterans who qualify for the program are entitled to receive up to $150 per month.
ODVA’s educational aid will not be paid if the veteran is currently receiving federal educational benefits under any federal act. Payment Amounts:
  • Full-time students are entitled to receive up to $150 per month.
  • Part-time students are entitled to receive up to $100 per month.
School criteria determine full-time and part-time status.
Eligibility Requirements:
  • Active duty in the Armed Forces of the U.S. for not less than 90 days; and
  • Released from military service under honorable conditions; and
  • Resident of Oregon when applying for state educational aid; and
  • Citizen of the United States; and
  • Served during the Korean War (June 25, 1950 to January 31, 1955) or after June 30, 1958.
Getting Started:
Eligibility forms, application forms, and counseling about Oregon educational aid for veterans are available by calling 1-800-692-9666, or go to
BMCC Military Tuition Waivers:
BMCC, with the purpose of enhancing student support while providing a premier learning environment, provides military tuition waivers to honor returning veterans and the dependents of deployed, disabled, and fallen military service members.
Veteran: any Oregon resident who is a member of the United States armed services and is currently on active duty or is an Oregon resident who has been honorably discharged. Veterans will register in the same manner as all other students.
Disabled Veteran: 100% disabled as a result of a militaryconnected disability as certified by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs or any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States, or fallen while in military service.
Dependent: spouse or any unmarried child under the age of 24 of a deployed veteran, a 100% disabled veteran (as described above), or a veteran who died as a result of military connected disability or service.
This tuition waiver is for 50% of the tuition costs for credit courses during the student’s first year of his/her degree program at BMCC, unless these costs are covered by the Montgomery GI Bill or tuition assistance.
The student must be taking a minimum of three credits; the tuition waiver will apply to a maximum of twelve credits per term. All credits taken over twelve in a term will be at full cost to the student. The student must apply for the tuition waiver each term.
The student’s year will begin with the first term in which the student commences degree course work and will end after four consecutive terms. If a student chooses to attend for fewer than the four given terms, his/her eligibility is still exhausted after the fourth consecutive term.
This waiver will not cover fees and AFEES (i.e., fees for non-credit classes).
If the student is co-enrolled, this tuition waiver covers only the cost of BMCC courses.
The waiver cannot exceed the number of credits required for an associate’s degree.
The prospective student must reside within the BMCC service area, which includes Umatilla, Morrow, Baker, Grant, and Wallowa counties.
If the veteran is called to active duty, he/she will have the choice of continuing course work via distance education or re-entering the program upon his/her return. Returning veterans who were enrolled in limited-entry programs will be allowed re-entry if the program allows and if the curriculum has not undergone significant changes.
To Apply:
Veterans: To receive a tuition waiver, each term a veteran must present current identification card or discharge papers (DD214) to the Registrar’s Office along with the completed waiver form.
Dependents: To receive a tuition waiver, each term the prospective student must present proof of the residency and death or 100% disability of the Oregon service member, proof of his/her campaign service (DD Form #214), and proof of his/her dependent status to the Registrar’s Office along with the completed waiver form, which can be found on BMCC’s Website at
Important links:

(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)