Financial Assistance

Federal School Code: 003186

Blue Mountain Community College’s Office of Student Financial Assistance is located in Morrow Hall on the Pendleton campus and can be accessed through the Service Center. Please check the BMCC Website for hours of operation. You may contact the Service Center by phone at 541-278-5759 or the Office of Student Financial Assistance by email at The Office of Student Financial Assistance staff and the Service Center Staff are available to students for assistance in applying for and receiving the following sources of financial aid:
  • Federal and state aid
  • Certification of veterans’ education benefits
  • Student employment
  • BMCC tuition scholarships (athletic, music, drama, and skills
  • challenge)
  • Miscellaneous private scholarships

(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Federal and State Aid

BMCC participates in the following types of federal and state aid:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • Federal Work Study
  • Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
  • Federal Direct PLUS (Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students)
  • Oregon Opportunity Grant (OOG)

Applying for Federal and State Aid: Students must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year in order to receive aid. Students may apply online at, or they may complete and submit a paper application. Be sure to include BMCC’s Federal School Code (003186) so that BMCC receives the FAFSA information. Applying online can reduce the amount of time for processing financial aid by approximately eight weeks. Note: January 1 is the first day of the financial aid application period for the next academic year. Refer to the “Dates & Deadlines” link on the BMCC Financial Assistance Webpage for more details.

Disbursement of Aid: Aid is disbursed (credited to student accounts) one week prior to the start of a term so that students can access their funds for the purchase of books in the BMCC bookstore. If students have a credit balance on their student account after all charges have been covered, including any books they have purchased, they will receive a check for the balance of their financial assistance funds. Checks are mailed by the 2nd Friday of the term. For actual disbursement dates, refer to the “Dates & Deadlines” link on the BMCC Office of Student FinancialAssistance Webpage for more details. 
Aid-Ineligible Courses: For some degree programs, certain courses may not count toward financial aid eligibility. Students should work closely with their academic advisors and take only courses that apply toward their stated degree intent. 
Mid-Year Transfer Students: If you transfer to BMCC during the academic year and received financial aid at the previous college, you should be aware that the BMCC financial assistance office will adjust your award amount accordingly to avoid an overpayment. For most mid-year transfer students, the federal or state aid award
at BMCC will be reduced by the amount of aid received at the previous college.
Taking Courses at BMCC and Another Institution (Coenrollment): If you are planning to take courses from BMCC
and another college during the same term, you must complete a consortium agreement form and provide proof of registration for each class taken at another college. Once processed, the consortium agreement is valid for one academic year; however, you must submit proof of registration each term of that year for each college from which you plan to take courses. Forms and additional information regarding co-enrollment are at
Second Degree: If you have received an associate’s, bachelor’s, or master’s degree and wish to receive financial aid from BMCC, you must complete a Length of Time (LOT)/Second Degree appeal and submit it, along with appropriate documentation, to the Office of Student Financial Assistance. You will be notified in writing of the decision made. This process does not guarantee an award. Depending upon the kind of degree that you already hold, your aid, if awarded, may be limited to loans.
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP): The Office of Student Financial Assistance is responsible for ensuring that all students who receive federal and state aid are demonstrating satisfactory progress toward the completion of their educational programs. The office will review a student’s SAP before making awards each 
academic year and again at the end of each term. The standards of SAP apply for all state and federal financial assistance programs including Federal Pell Grant, Federal-Work Study (FWS), Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Direct Loans (Stafford and PLUS) and Oregon Opportunity Grant (OOG).
Students are evaluated on all of the following standards:
  • Cumulative Credit Completion Rate (cCCR).
  • Cumulative Grade Point Average (cGPA).
  • Maximum time frame (150% Rule).
Students must meet all three progress requirements (cCCR, cGPA, and be within the maximum time frame) to remain in good standing. Students not meeting the requirements will be placed on Financial Aid Warning or Suspension status during their next term of enrollment and will receive, in writing from the Office of Student Financial Assistance, a notice of such standing. For additional information regarding this policy and for more
detailed information about financial aid, please visit BMCC’s Website or contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance. 
Total Withdrawal and Return of Federal Aid: If you withdraw from or quit attending all classes in a term before completing more than 60.01 percent of the term for which you received aid, BMCC will recalculate your aid award based upon the percentage of the term completed. For example, if you withdraw after completing only 30 percent of the term, you will have earned only 30 percent of your federal aid received (other than Federal Work Study). You and/or BMCC, as determined by college and federal rules, must return (repay) to the federal government the
remaining 70 percent of the federal funds received. This policy applies to all students receiving federal Title IV aid who withdraw, drop out, or are suspended from BMCC. Types of federal Title IV funds that students can receive while attending BMCC included in this policy are: Federal Pell Grant, FSEOG, and Federal Direct
Stafford Loans.
For additional information regarding this policy and for more detailed information about financial aid, please visit BMCC’s Website, click on “Students,” “Financial Assistance,” then “Policies.” 

(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)



Other Financial Assistance

Other Financial Assistance
Foundation Scholarships
The Blue Mountain Community College Foundation offers scholarships to both full- and part-time students. Scholarship information and scholarship applications are posted on the college Website. Most full-time scholarships are awarded during spring term for the next academic year. Scholarships for parttime
students may be available each term. An applicant must be enrolled before a scholarship can be awarded. Stipulations concerning financial need, credit hours, grade point average, and area of study may apply.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Military Educational Benefits


Military Educational Benefits
BMCC assists veterans and family members of veterans with three primary types of benefits:
  • United States Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits – Students apply for these benefits through the VA, and the BMCC Financial Assistance Office certifies them. Benefits are paid directly to the student by the VA.
  • Oregon Veteran Educational Aid Program (Tuition Assistance) – Students apply for this benefit through the State Veterans’ Affairs Office, and the benefit is paid by the state directly to the school to be applied towards the students’ tuition and fees.
  • BMCC tuition waivers for military and qualifying family members – students apply for one of these three waivers through BMCC. Forms are available on the BMCC Website. The BMCC Registrar’s Office reviews these requests. 
Since each of these three types of benefits are administered by different agencies and/or offices, they have distinctly different processes for accessing. The following is a guide for requesting and receiving each of these benefits:
VA Educational Benefits:
General Information about applying: In order to receive VA educational benefits, veterans must:
  • Take the BMCC placement test to determine proper course placement before enrollment
  • Be assigned an academic advisor
  • Be pursuing a BMCC degree or certificate 
To begin receiving educational benefits, veterans must:
  • Apply for VA Education Benefits online
  • Complete 2011-2012 Enrollment Certification
  • Read the Statement of Rights and Responsibilities Additional documents needed:
  • Those discharged from active duty also provide a copy of ‘Certificate of Eligibility’ letter from the VA or DD-214
  • Active members of the National Guard and Reserves also provide a copy of their Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)
Return forms to:
Mail: BMCC Veterans Certifying Official,
P.O. Box 100, Pendleton, OR 97801
Fax: 541-278-5889
Processing: Please allow two to three weeks for processing and certification of your enrollment to the VA. Benefits are paid directly to the student. It is important that you are aware of tuition payment deadlines and payment options.
Pay Table: Rates of pay depend on the veteran’s chapter and on his or her enrollment level. BMCC will inform the VA of any enrollment changes during the term, which may result in adjustments to the monthly allowance. It is the veteran’s responsibility to report any changes to the veterans certifying official.
Pay rates are updated each year, usually in October. Veterans may be eligible for additional tuition assistance, or “kickers.” Contact the VA directly at 1-888-442-4551 for specific payment questions.
Chapter 30 - Discharged from Active Duty
Chapter 1606 - Selected Reserve
Chapter 1607 - Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
Chapter 35 - Survivors’ and Dependents’ Education Assistance
Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill
Advance Pay Request: Veterans who need financial assistance to begin classes may request advance pay for the first term. Requests must be made four to six weeks before the beginning of the term. With advance pay, veterans are paid for the first two months of the term; however, the VA payments are based on the number of days that the veteran was enrolled for a given month. For example, if fall term begins the last week of September, the advance paycheck would be for part of September and all of October. The advance check is sent directly to the BMCC Business Office.
Certification Periods: The veterans certifying official will certify based on BMCC’s official academic calendar. Some courses vary in length. The veterans certifying official will certify enrollment according to each course’s beginning and ending dates, which may affect the rate of pay.
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP): The veterans certifying official at BMCC is responsible for ensuring that all students who receive VA benefits are demonstrating satisfactory progress toward the completion of their educational programs. The office will review a student’s SAP before making awards each academic year and again at the end of each term. The standards of SAP are the same as those for all state and federal financial assistance programs listed above.
Oregon Veterans - Tuition Assistance
The Oregon Department of Veterans’ Affairs provides educational benefits for pursuit of approved training courses.
Benefits will be paid for as many months as the veteran spent in active service, up to a maximum of 36 months. Veterans who qualify for the program are entitled to receive up to $150 per month.
ODVA’s educational aid will not be paid if the veteran is currently receiving federal educational benefits under any federal act. Payment Amounts:
  • Full-time students are entitled to receive up to $150 per month.
  • Part-time students are entitled to receive up to $100 per month.
School criteria determine full-time and part-time status.
Eligibility Requirements:
  • Active duty in the Armed Forces of the U.S. for not less than 90 days; and
  • Released from military service under honorable conditions; and
  • Resident of Oregon when applying for state educational aid; and
  • Citizen of the United States; and
  • Served during the Korean War (June 25, 1950 to January 31, 1955) or after June 30, 1958.
Getting Started:
Eligibility forms, application forms, and counseling about Oregon educational aid for veterans are available by calling 1-800-692-9666, or go to
BMCC Military Tuition Waivers:
BMCC, with the purpose of enhancing student support while providing a premier learning environment, provides military tuition waivers to honor returning veterans and the dependents of deployed, disabled, and fallen military service members.
Veteran: any Oregon resident who is a member of the United States armed services and is currently on active duty or is an Oregon resident who has been honorably discharged. Veterans will register in the same manner as all other students.
Disabled Veteran: 100% disabled as a result of a militaryconnected disability as certified by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs or any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States, or fallen while in military service.
Dependent: spouse or any unmarried child under the age of 24 of a deployed veteran, a 100% disabled veteran (as described above), or a veteran who died as a result of military connected disability or service.
This tuition waiver is for 50% of the tuition costs for credit courses during the student’s first year of his/her degree program at BMCC, unless these costs are covered by the Montgomery GI Bill or tuition assistance.
The student must be taking a minimum of three credits; the tuition waiver will apply to a maximum of twelve credits per term. All credits taken over twelve in a term will be at full cost to the student. The student must apply for the tuition waiver each term.
The student’s year will begin with the first term in which the student commences degree course work and will end after four consecutive terms. If a student chooses to attend for fewer than the four given terms, his/her eligibility is still exhausted after the fourth consecutive term.
This waiver will not cover fees and AFEES (i.e., fees for non-credit classes).
If the student is co-enrolled, this tuition waiver covers only the cost of BMCC courses.
The waiver cannot exceed the number of credits required for an associate’s degree.
The prospective student must reside within the BMCC service area, which includes Umatilla, Morrow, Baker, Grant, and Wallowa counties.
If the veteran is called to active duty, he/she will have the choice of continuing course work via distance education or re-entering the program upon his/her return. Returning veterans who were enrolled in limited-entry programs will be allowed re-entry if the program allows and if the curriculum has not undergone significant changes.
To Apply:
Veterans: To receive a tuition waiver, each term a veteran must present current identification card or discharge papers (DD214) to the Registrar’s Office along with the completed waiver form.
Dependents: To receive a tuition waiver, each term the prospective student must present proof of the residency and death or 100% disability of the Oregon service member, proof of his/her campaign service (DD Form #214), and proof of his/her dependent status to the Registrar’s Office along with the completed waiver form, which can be found on BMCC’s Website at
Important links:

(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)