General Information

Admission Policies


Blue Mountain Community College has an open-door admission policy. You will be considered as admitted or conditionally admitted based on the following criteria:
General Admission: In general, if you are seeking a certificate or degree and meet at least one of the following criteria, you will be considered admitted to the college and eligible to enroll.
  • Are eighteen years of age or older, or
  • Are legally emancipated (with documentation), or
  • Have graduated from an accredited high school, or
  • Have completed a general educational development (GED) certificate or an adult high school diploma, and
  • Have the ability to benefit from instruction; and
  • Have attended during one or more terms during the 2011/12 or 2012/13 academic year
If you have completed high school requirements in a homeschooled setting you will be required to provide the following documents to the Registrar/Director of Admissions in order to register in credit courses:
  • A letter from their local Education Service District (ESD) or equivalent from states with differing educational agencies, stating their release from compulsory school attendance under the provisions outlined in ORS 339.030, and
  • Completed placement assessments in writing, math, and reading, and
  • If under the age of 19, parent’s signature on any enrollment or registration document
Conditional Admission: If you meet one or more of the following criteria you will be considered conditionally admitted. Students in this category are not eligible for Federal Title IV aid:
  • Non-degree seeking students
  • Students that have not completed high school or a GED
  • Students under the age of 18 (unless they have completed high school)
  • Students that have not attended during the 2011/12 or 2012/13 academic year
Students under eighteen years of age who have not completed their high school diploma or the equivalent: In
order to take credit courses you will be required to provide the following documents to the Registrar/Director of Admissions:
  • A letter from a high school administrator or local Education Service District (ESD) stating that you have been released from compulsory school attendance under the provisions outlined in ORS 339.030, and
  • Completed placement assessments in writing, math, and reading, and
  • Parent’s signature on any enrollment or registration document, and
Prior to enrollment, you and at least one parent will be required to meet with the Director of Advising and Testing to discuss the your ability to benefit from the instruction desired and acknowledge that you will be in a classroom situation with other adults without the same protections and rules of the K-12 system. 
Students under the age of eighteen and still attending high school: In order to take credit courses you will be required to provide the following documents to the Registrar/Director of Admissions:
  • Written acknowledgement from a high school administrator or counselor of your attendance and or participation in credit-courses offered by the college; and 
  • Completed placement assessments in writing, math, and reading, and
  • Parent’s signature on any enrollment or registration document, and
  • An acknowledgement that you will be in a classroom situation with other adults and without the same protections and rules of the K-12 system.
If you are taking courses to complete your high school credit requirements be sure to check with your high school
administration to ensure that the credits taken will transfer back to your high school in the way intended.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)



Oregon Residency Requirements

Your residency status determines your tuition rate for your classes. The college has three tuition schedules: in-state, out-of-state, and international. For purposes of determining tuition rates and receiving state reimbursement, BMCC is required by law to establish a residency policy.
You may petition for residency if at least one of the in-state criteria is met and you provide at least two of the documents listed on this page. Petitions must be made in writing and must be d be submitted, along with at least two of the documents listed below to the Service Center located on the Pendleton campus for approval.
In-State Criteria (student must meet at least one):
  • Student must have maintained a permanent address in Oregon for at least 90 continuous days prior to the first day of the term.
  • Student is a resident of Washington, Idaho, Nevada, Montana, or California.
  • Student is or a member of your immediate family holds title to or is otherwise purchasing property that is claimed as a permanent Oregon residence.
  • Student or your parents (if you are a dependent student) filed an income tax statement with the Oregon Department of Revenue for the most recent reporting year.
  • Student is a veteran who established residency in Oregon within one year of separation or discharge from the service.
  • Student is a dependent of parents or legal guardians who have established permanent residency within Oregon.
Documents (student must provide at least one):
  • An Oregon hunting or fishing license that was issued at least ninety days before the beginning of the term.
  • A copy of deed of title, mortgage agreement, or recent county property tax statement indicating ownership or purchase by the student or the immediate family. If ownership is by anyone other than the student, a document verifying the relationship between the student and an owner must be presented.
  • A current Oregon voter precinct card.
  • A copy of a signed Oregon income tax statement filed during the latest reporting year or payroll records from an Oregon firm indicating ninety continuous days of residency in Oregon.
  • A copy of an official Oregon high school transcript or GED scores earned in the state of Oregon.
  • A copy of a valid Oregon driver’s license (front and back of license).
Out-of-State Criteria
With the exceptions listed above, you must pay out-of-state tuition if you have listed your permanent address as being outside of Oregon or if you listed your parents’ address as outside Oregon and you are claimed as a dependent by your parents on their income tax report; or if your state of legal residence is other than Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, Montana, or California. If you are an Alaska resident and you wish to receive the Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend while attending BMCC, you must maintain your out-of-state residency status.
International Criteria
If you are a citizen of another country and are attending BMCC on a student visa, you must apply for international student admission, provide supporting documentation as outlined in the application, and pay the international tuition rate.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Admission Procedures

Degree and Certificate Programs

If you are seeking a degree or certificate, you are required to:
1. Apply
New students must submit an Application for Admission form and submit a $25 non-refundable application fee at the time of application. Applications will not be processed without the fee. The application DEADLINE is the Friday at 5pm two weeks prior to the beginning of the term.
  • The application deadline for BMCC’s Summer term, 2013, is 5pm, June 7, 2013.
  • The application deadline for BMCC’s Fall term, 2013 is 5pm, September 12, 2013.
Application forms can be submitted to any BMCC location or by mail to BMCC, PO Box 100, Pendleton, OR 97801. The application form can be downloaded from, or picked up from any BMCC location.
2. Placement Test
Placement information is required for all students taking credit classes. If you have taken coursework at another college please send at least an unofficial transcript with your Admission Application. We will then determine which, if any, placement assessments can be waived.
Students with documented disabilities needing accommodation for testing should contact the Testing and Advising office prior to scheduling the placement tests.
3. Attend New Student Orientation
Register for “New Student Orientation”. The registration form will be sent to once the Admissions Application has been processed by BMCC’s Admissions Office. Complete and submit this registration form to any BMCC location.
While at New Student Orientation students will complete the Advising and Registration steps, below:
Advising is required for EACH TERM for all certificate/degreeseeking students; non certificate/degree-seeking students are not required to attend an advising session but are welcome to do so. See BMCC›s Advising webpage for helpful hints to get started. Please contact the BMCC Testing and Advising Office (541-278-5931) with questions.
Certificate/Degree Seeking Students: Summer term registration will be available beginning May 20th. Fall term registration will be available beginning June 3rd. Students can register either online or in person at any BMCC campus, once application, testing and advising (as applicable) are complete. Summer term classes begin June 24, 2013. Fall term classes begin September 30, 2013.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Transfer Students

In addition to the steps outline above, you will need to be sure and have an official transcript sent to us from each regionally accredited college and/or university you have attended. Credits earned and completed with a grade of “D” or better r will be evaluated. The Office of the Registrar will notify you in writing (by letter and or email) which credits have been accepted toward your stated degree intent at BMCC.
Only those courses that meet requirements for your degree will be included in the cumulative grade point average (GPA) computation for graduation, including core courses and all appropriate electives. All other coursework will not be included or accepted for transfer. Courses accepted towards degree requirements will not be listed on your BMCC transcript; however, a note will appear at the top of your transcript regarding a cumulative number of transfer credits accepted for that degree.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Limited Entry Programs

BMCC offers a number of limited-entry programs. Each program has special admission requirements that must be met before you can be admitted. General admission to BMCC does not guarantee acceptance into these programs. The admission requirements may change annually depending upon Oregon state regulations and BMCC policies. For the most current admissions policy information and deadlines, please contact the Admissions Office or the academic department, or consult BMCC’s Website.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

International Admissions


Blue Mountain Community College is authorized under federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students, and welcomes international students. We provide an affordable education in a safe, comfortable environment. To be considered for admission as an international student, you must:
  1. Complete BMCC’s International Application for Admission packet. Packet can be found on our website.
  2. Submit an official TOEFL score: Scores must be sent directly to BMCC from ETC. BMCC’s Institution Code is: 4025. Scores are valid for two years from date of test. Students whose native language is English will not be required to submit TOEFL scores; however, they must have the ability to benefit from instruction based on scores from the COMPASS placement assessments. Minimum acceptable scores are: International TOEFT score of at least 97 (Internet Based Test-IBT) or 550 (Paper Based Test-PBT).
  3. Additional requirements for admission, and for obtaining an I-20 visa, include:
    • Proof of adequate funds for the student’s studies.
    • A complete set of documents for all of the student’s
    • previous and current studies.
    • Proof of immunization
    • Proof of health insurance.
International students must be enrolled full-time (12 or more credits) and successfully complete 12 or more credits each term to remain in good standing with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). 
For more information, or to receive an international student application packet, please contact the Admissions Office; email; or visit the International Student Admissions page on BMCC’s Website. You will be notified by mail after all of the application materials are received and verified.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)



Non-Degree Admissions

If you wish to take classes at BMCC but not obtain a degree or certificate, you may register online once registration has opened for the term. Students under the age of 18 must complete the paper registration process to include parental signature on their registration form.
Every student, whether degree-seeking or not, who intends to take a credited math or writing course is required to take the math or writing placement test. Placement in these courses is mandatory. If you have completed a math or writing course, you will need to submit either an unofficial grade transcript or placement assessment from your prior college (test must have been taken within the last two academic years). Once you have submitted your documentation to our Advising and Testing Center on the Pendleton campus, an override will be applied to your student record within two business days. Note: You must have passed your math or writing course with a grade of “C” or higher. If you have been out of school for two or more years, you must take the math or writing placement assessment.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)


Placement Assessment

Many courses at BMCC have pre-requisite course requirements. Placement assessment is required if you intend to take a course that has a pre-requisite requirement and have not already taken the required course at a college or university. In addition, degree-seeking students may need to complete placement assessment for computer literacy. You are encouraged to review the topics covered in the placement assessment. Our testing center can recommend a variety of study tools. BMCC uses a self-paced, computerized assessment designed to determine your level of academic ability in each of these subject areas. The scores are used to assist you and your advisor in placing you in the correct course.
If you have taken a pre-requisite course from another college or university, you will need to provide the Advising and Testing Center with a copy of your unofficial grade transcript to determine proper placement in courses at BMCC. Note: You must have passed your pre-requisite course with a grade of “C” or higher. If you have taken an assessment from another college within the last two years, you may submit evidence of it to the Advising and Testing Center on the Pendleton campus in lieu of having to take the assessment at BMCC. Placement assessment scores are valid for two years. If you took a placement assessment at BMCC or another college more than 2 years ago and have not taken a required pre-requisite course since that time, you will be required to take the placement assessment in that subject area.
All BMCC locations administer placement assessments. Dates and times for testing are posted on the college Website, or you can call 541-278-5931. If you are a newly admitted, degree-seeking, student at BMCC and have paid the $25 admission fee, there is no charge for the placement assessment. If you are not a degreeseeking
student and have not paid the admission fee, there is a $10 fee for taking the initial placement assessment for math, writing, reading, and computer literacy. Students wishing to retake the assessment in a subject area will be charged $5 for each retest.
The scores will be uploaded each day to provide the most current information to your advisor to assist you in planning an appropriate course schedule. BMCC does not use placement assessment scores to determine admittance to the college. If you disagree with your placement recommendation for writing, you may be referred to the academic department for further placement advising and possible further testing. Should you disagree with your math placement you may request to take a challenge test.
To request a placement assessment with accommodations due to a documented disability please contact the t Director of advising, testing and student disability services at 541-278-5958.
All students completing a one-year certificate or two-year degree program are required to meet our computer literacy requirement prior to graduating. There are two options to meet this requirement. They are:
  1. Take and pass the IC3 Exam: score an average of 75% or higher on IC3 exams. If you are a newly admitted, degreeseeking, student at BMCC and have paid the $25 admission fee, there is no charge for the computer literacy assessment. If you are not a degree-seeking student and have not paid the admission fee, there is a $10 fee for taking the assessment for computer literacy. Students wishing to re-take the assessment will be charged $5 for each retest.OR
  2. Take and pass one of the following courses with a grade of “C” or better: AGR111, CS120, BA131, or ED235.
Students completing the IC3 Exam with a score of 85% or higher are eligible to request the Credit-By-Exam (CBE) option. Students must complete and return the CBE form along with payment to
the Pendleton Service Center.
Students with an average score of 85-90 percent will receive a grade of B and those with an average score of 91-100 percent will receive a grade of A. CBE credits are reflected on BMCC’s transcripts with the exam identifier of (CH) next to the course title. Example: CS120 (CH)
Please work with your advisor to determine which option best fits the needs of your degree.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)



The Oregon Department of Health requires community college students born on or after January 1, 1957, to have two doses of measles vaccine before participating in clinical experiences in allied health, nursing, and human services programs; practicum experiences in education and child care programs; and intercollegiate sports. If you are enrolling in the nursing program and in some health programs, you may also be required to be vaccinated for Hepatitis B prior to entering any clinical experiences. For details about these requirements, contact the department that oversees the program in which you plan to participate.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)


Adult Basic Education (ABE) and General Education Development (GED) Admissions

These programs are open to non-high school graduates who are at least sixteen years of age and not enrolled in high school. Students who are sixteen and seventeen years of age must provide the college with a release from the high school district in which they reside according to O.R.S. 339.030. For more information, contact the Department of College Preparatory Programs at 541-278-5795. More information can be found at this link.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Registration Information

If you are a certificate- or degree-seeking student, you must be cleared to register through your academic advisor in order to register. If you do not have access to the Internet or if you need assistance in registering for courses, you may visit any BMCC location to register. Students will be issued a BMCC email account, which will be used for official and informative communications. Students are responsible for checking their BMCC email account frequently.
The maximum number of credits a student can register for in a term is 21 credits. Should you wish to enroll for more than 21 credits you will need to complete a Schedule Change form and submit it to the Registrar’s office for approval.
BMCC does not allow late registration. You may add courses up through midnight of the day prior to the first day of the course. Please see chart below.

Day Course Meets
for the 1st time
Last Day to Add
(as of midnight)
Monday Sunday
Tuesday Monday
Wednesday Tuesday
Thursday Wednesday
Friday Thursday
Saturday Friday

For more information on registration dates and timelines, see the calendar found in this catalog or visit our Website.
For special registration assistance due to a disability, please contact the assistant director of advising, testing and student disability services at 541-278-5958.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Degree Seeking Students

If you are a new or returning degree-seeking student, you will be required to meet with an academic advisor prior to being cleared to register.
New Students: An appointment will be made with an advisor once you have scheduled attendance at a New Student
Orientation session.
Returning Students (high school/GED graduate that has attended BMCC during one or more terms of the 2011-12 or 2012-13 academic year): To make an appointment, call the Advising and Testing Center in Pendleton at 541-278-5931 or contact the BMCC location closest to you. You may also contact your advisor directly to set up an advising appointment. The advising process will include information regarding registration for classes.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

First Term Experience Course (HD109)

All new degree-seeking students are required to take HD109 Academic Planning,or an approved alternative during their first term of enrollment. Approved alternatives include: AGR101, BA109, CJ109, CET111, or ED100, ECE109, LC109 and VT109 Note: Students may not take HD109 and LC109 for credit. Students may qualify for a waiver if they meet one of the following requirements:

  • Have a minimum of 24 transfer credits from a regionally accredited college AND have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better
  • Have successfully completed a minimum of 12 or more credits at BMCC with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better (does not include credits earned while in high school)
  • Have an associate’s, bachelor’s, or master’s degree.

Students who qualify for a waiver must submit a waiver request form along with supporting documentation to the registrar’s office. The registrar, director of advising, testing, and student disability services, or their designee, will review and process approved waivers.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Non-degree Seeking Students

If you wish to enroll in courses at BMCC but not to obtain a degree or certificate, you may register online using the Student WolfWeb link found on BMCC’s Website. If you do not have access to the Internet or need assistance in registering for courses, you may visit any BMCC location to register in person. You are considered to be registered when the college receives your completed registration unless the college notifies you that the courses for which you registered are full or cancelled or that you have been placed on a waitlist.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Priority Registration

BMCC uses a priority registration process at the start of each pre-registration period. Credits considered for pre-registration purposes include credits completed at BMCC and may include evaluated credits from other colleges. The Priority Registration schedule is available at this link.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Course Numbers

Generally, courses with letter prefixes apply toward degrees and certificates, and courses with 100 and 200 numbers are college transfer courses; those numbered 200 to 299 are considered sophomore-level courses. Be sure to check the degree requirements for the certificate or degree you are seeking to ensure that the course you are taking will be counted.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)


In order to earn an associate’s degree in two years, you should enroll for an average of 16 college-level credits in fall, winter, and spring terms. If college preparatory courses are required, the number of credits each term would increase accordingly. Curriculum and program requirements described in this catalog provide more information on the program or degree of your choice.
If you are participating in intercollegiate athletics, you must complete and pass at least 12 credit hours each term for eligibility purposes. You are encouraged to visit with BMCC’s athletic director and/or our coaches for detailed eligibility requirements.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)



Blue Mountain Community College believes that it is the student’s obligation to attend and participate in classes and that there is a direct correlation between participative attendance in a course and successful completion. Individual courses may have their own attendance policies. The college has an administrative drop process for the first five days of class each term. The administrative drop process is not guaranteed. If you do not intend to continue in classes, you must not assume that you will be automatically dropped for non-attendance. To drop or withdraw from a course or courses, you must do so online by logging on to the Student WolfWeb. You will be responsible for
payment for all courses that you have not dropped as of the end of the 100% refund period.
See definition of drop and withdraw under “Dropping/ Withdrawing from Class” at this link.
Note: Some courses that are not a full term in length will have different refund periods. Please print your schedule to determine what the refund/drop period is for that course.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)


Auditing Classes

You may audit a course at a reduced tuition rate. If you register for a course online and wish to audit it, you must complete a paper Schedule Change form requesting the audit option. This status cannot be changed after the 100% refund period. Courses taken as an audit status do not count as credits attempted in financial aid award calculations, and the AU (audit) status does not count in calculating GPAs. The audit indicator AU indicates a registration status, not an evaluation.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Dropping/Withdrawing from Classes

Drop: When you remove a course from your schedule before the end of the 100% refund period for that course. If you drop a course from your schedule, it will not show up on your grade transcript. Note: Courses that are less than a full term in length have different refund periods. These dates are indicated on your schedule as “last date to drop and pay.”
Withdraw: When you remove a course from your schedule after the 100% refund period for that course. If you withdraw from a course, it will show up on your grade transcript with a status of W to indicate that you withdrew from that course. In addition, students are responsible for all tuition and fees associated with the course or courses they withdraw from. Note: Courses that are less than a full term in length have different withdrawal deadline dates.
To drop or withdraw from a course, log in to your student account on the Student Wolfweb from BMCC’s Website. If you are having problems online contact our Service Center at 541-278-5759.
If you leave BMCC without following the withdrawal procedures described above, you are responsible for the final grades received and associated tuition and fees for those course or courses.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Waitlisted Courses

If you have chosen to place yourself on a waitlist, it is important to check your schedule regularly through the Thursday before classes begin. Waitlists are checked daily and students are added when spots become available. If you are added to a class from the waitlist, you will be notified at your email address on or prior to 5 p.m. The last day that students will be added from waitlists is Thursday, 5:00p.m., before classes begin. Notification
will be sent to the students email no later than 5:00p.m.
Once waitlists are closed and cleared after 5 p.m., the Thursday before classes start, spots may become available through student drops. Students are encouraged to continue to check the status of class through the day before the class is scheduled to begin. If spots become available, registration is first come first served. Exception: Summer term, campus is closed on Fridays so final waitlist movement is completed at 5:00p.m. on Wednesday before classes begin.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Withdrawal from College

If you find you can no longer attend classes, you should officially withdraw from school. Before doing so, please be sure to work with your advisor to determine if other options are available to you. The last day to withdraw from classes without receiving a grade is listed on the academic calendar. Note: Courses that are less than a full term in length have different withdrawal deadline dates.
If you are receiving financial aid, be aware that totally withdrawing prior to completing more than 60.01% of the term can result in your owing money back to the U.S. Department of Education or to BMCC. Please refer to the Financial Assistance section of the catalog for further information.
NOTE: A student who is registered is considered to be in attendance. Non-attendance or non-payment does not constitute official withdrawal, nor does it release you from the obligation to pay for your course or courses.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Withdrawal for Military Duty

The following guidelines apply when a veteran, Reserve, or National Guard student is called to active duty for military
purposes during the term (This does not include being called to active duty for basic training):
  • You may drop courses and receive a full tuition and fee refund.
  • You may, at your discretion, elect to complete courses after making special arrangements with your
  • instructor(s) to create an incomplete contract allowing reasonable time to complete the academic work required.
Please contact the Service Center in Pendleton for further information at 541-278-5759, or send an email to: If you are receiving financial aid you need to refer to the Financial Assistance section of the catalog for further information regarding withdrawals.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)


Academic Information

Grading System


The quality of your work is measured by a system of grades and by computed grade-point averages. All assigned courses, regardless of curriculum, are included when determining a cumulative grade-point average while attending BMCC.
The grading system consists of the following:
Grade   Points
A Superior 4
B Above Average 3
C Average 2
D Inferior 1
F Failure 0
FA Failure - Attendance 0
P Pass 0
NP No Pass 0
INC Incomplete 0


Only grades of A, B, C, D, F, and FA are considered in the computation of grade point averages. All other grades will be disregarded in the calculation of your GPA; however, other grade marks and enrollment status will affect financial aid and athletic eligibility.
Grade Point Average (GPA)
Your grade point average (GPA) is calculated as follows: take the number of points from the table above for each grade that you received and multiply it by the number of credits for that course; then repeat the process for each course in which you received a grade of A, B, C, D, F, or FA. Add all of the results together and then divide by the total credit hours in which grades A, B, C, D, F, or FA were received. Note: If a course is repeated, only the most
recent grade is used in computing the GPA unless the course is designated as repeatable in the Course Descriptions section of this catalog.
Grade Definitions:
A/4: Superior: An indication that the student has met the state outcomes and course criteria at the highest level, demonstrating mastery of required knowledge and skills.
B/3: Above Average: An indication that the student has meet the stated outcomes and course criteria at a high level, demonstrating mastery of most required knowledge and skills.
C/2: Average: An indication that the student has met the stated outcomes and course criteria with sufficient mastery of enough of the required knowledge and skills to be capable of success in other courses that require this course as a prerequisite.
D/1: Below Average: An indication that the student has only minimally met the stated outcomes and criteria of the course but may not have sufficient mastery of enough of the required knowledge and skills to be capable of success in other courses that require this course as a prerequisite.
F/0: Failure: An indication that the student has participated in the course but, has not adequately met the stated outcomes and criteria of the course.
FA/0: Failure-Attendance: An indication that the student did not participate (either by attendance or by online participation) in a significant amount of the course and, as a result, has not adequately met the stated outcomes and criteria of the course. Instructors assigning this grade must provide a Last Date of Attendance (LDA) to satisfy Federal Title IV aid requirements.
INC (Incomplete): Your instructor(s) may assign an incomplete grade when the quality of your completed work is satisfactory but the course has not been completed for reasons acceptable to the instructor. At least sixty percent (60%) of your course work must be completed for an incomplete grade to be given. An incomplete grade must be made up within a maximum of one calendar year from the date that the incomplete appears on the grade report; however, you and your instructor may choose a shorter time in which to complete the course work. Incomplete Grade Contracts are submitted by the instructor of the course at the time grades are submitted and do not require your signature. The Registrar’s Office will maintain and monitor INC contracts for the college. If your instructor does not return your completed INC contact to the Registrar’s Office providing your final grade earned by the contract deadline date, the alternative grade indicated on the contract will automatically be entered into your permanent record. It is your responsibility to complete the work agreed upon and the instructor’s responsibility to submit the final grade earned in a timely manner to the Registrar’s Office. Grade
changes after the end of the contract will not be processed
without prior approval from the vice president of instruction.
P/NP (Pass/No Pass): If you wish to use the P/NP option you must: Elect to do so by the end of the fourth week of the term. Once you declare the P/NP grading option, no changes in grading can be made. 
Submit an application for the P/NP grading option to the Registrar’s Office. Before submitting this form to the Registrar’s Office, you must first collect the signature of the instructor of the course for which you are exercising this option. 
You may apply a maximum of 12 program or elective credits with a grade of P toward a degree at BMCC. This number would include pass grades earned in regular BMCC classes and those earned from another college or university. This number does not include pass grades earned in course work with obligatory pass grades or advanced placement credits transcribed as pass.
The P/NP option is not available in courses being repeated by the student, in courses required for a degree, or in courses in the core area required for an AAOT/AS degree (pass grades would be accepted in advanced placement test credit.).
The P grade denotes a level of accomplishment of C or better.
Pass grades from other institutions will be examined on an individual basis. If the registrar determines that the course meets or exceeds BMCC requirements, then credit may be granted.
If you are planning to transfer to a four-year institution, you should determine the policy of that school before electing the P/NP option at BMCC.
When computing credits earned and GPA, the Registrar’s Office treats the P/NP credits as follows:
  • The pass credits will be transcribed as credits earned and will not be computed in the grade point average.
  • The no pass credits will show on the transcript as credits attempted and will not be computed in the grade point average.
R (Repeat): Assigned when you have repeated a course that is not repeatable for credit. If you repeat a course, the college will count the grade received for your most recent attempt. All other attempts at the course where a grade of A, B, C, D, F, FA, or INC was given will be changed to a grade of R on your transcript.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)


Enrollment Status

In addition to the previously listed grades, other enrollment-status indicators may be entered on your grade report or transcript. These include AU (audit), CIP (course in progress), MSG (missing grade), and W (withdrawal). 

AU (Audit)
This is NOT a grade. It is an enrollment status and must be declared at the time of registration for the course. See the Audit Policy section for more information. 
CIP (Course in Progress)
CIP is an enrollment status used when a course is scheduled to continue from one academic term into the next. The CIP is not a terminal grade but is, rather, a state of progress used until the ending date of the class. At the time a course is scheduled to conclude, the CIP status will be replaced by a grade.
H (High School Diploma)
The designation of H indicates that the variable-hour course was taken as part of a student’s adult high school diploma program and that was not completed in a particular term.
W (Withdrawal)
A grade of W indicates that you followed the formal withdrawal procedure and withdrew from the course during the term after the 100% refund period for the term or course. This designation is not used in computing GPA. A W is not punitive. It simply indicates that you withdrew from the course and therefore received no grade.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)


Audit Policy

If you do not wish to earn college credit, you may audit a course and pay a reduced tuition rate as long as the course is not full. Students who audit are not required to meet any specific academic requirements, but they may participate fully in the activities of the class. If an audit is desired, you must elect this option at the time of registration. Should you wish to take the course for a grade, you must drop the course within the defined drop period and then add the class back as a graded course. You may not change to audit status after the end of the drop period.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Grade Changes

College procedures allow for grade changes up to one year after the end of the term in which the course or courses were taken. Once a grade has been assigned other than an INC, the only acceptable reason for a grade change is instructor or college error. The instructor/student relationship in a given class concludes at the end of the term with the assignment of a grade unless the student receives a grade of INC to allow for the submission of late course work. If you cannot complete all of the course work before the end of the term, you should work with the instructor before the term ends to request a grade of INC. Otherwise, the only way that an instructor can agree to change your grade is for you to submit a grade appeal (see the section on grade appeals). All grade appeals are reviewed by the vice president of instruction and, if approved, sent to the registrar’s office for final processing.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Grade Appeal Process

The responsibility for assigning grades rests with the individual instructor, who uses his or her best judgment in accordance with what is deemed fair, given the requirements of the course and the work performed by the student.
If you believe that you have been awarded an inappropriate grade by an instructor, you may fill out a grade appeal form and submit it to the Office of Instruction. This will initiate the grade appeal process as outlined in the Student’s Rights and Responsibilities Handbook. The vice president of instruction will forward appeals to the registrar’s office once a decision has been made. If the appeal results in a grade change the registrar’s office will process the change and notify the student by email once the change has been made.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Grade Point Average (GPA) Renewal Policy

Students who have previously attended BMCC and have earned poor grades often feel discouraged about trying again. In order to encourage these students, Blue Mountain Community College has established a GPA renewal policy.
If you have returned to BMCC after an absence of at least two years and have subsequently passed two academic quarters of work of at least 12 credit hours each quarter with a 2.00 GPA or better, you may petition the registrar to implement the GPA renewal policy. If the petition is accepted, grades for the term chosen, and for all prior terms, will be changed to no credit (NC). All courses previously taken will remain on the transcript, but the grade point average will be adjusted. A notation will appear on your transcript indicating that the GPA renewal policy was implemented. All courses included in the GPA renewal policy will still be counted as attempted for the purposes of federal financial
aid eligibility.
This policy may be used only once. You must be enrolled in at least one credit hour at the time that the policy is implemented. Once the grade renewal process has taken place the student may not request to have the process reversed. Any courses taken at another college and transferred to BMCC are not subject to the provisions of this policy and are not included in this policy.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Final Examinations

Final examinations are given at the close of each term. You are required to take final examinations at the regularly scheduled time. Final examination schedules are available online or on the academic calendar found in the academic catalog. If circumstances warrant taking final examinations at another time, you must make prior arrangements with your instructor.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Academic Achievement Recognition

Blue Mountain Community College recognizes exceptional academic achievement of students at the end of each term and at graduation.
Honor Roll, Dean’s List, and President’s List
You may attain honor status each term by qualifying for the Honor Roll, the Dean’s List, or the President’s List. In all cases, you must have completed 12 or more BMCC credits during the term with grades of A, B, C, or D. Only courses taken at BMCC will count towards academic achievement recognition. Only term GPAs, not cumulative GPAs, are counted for these recognitions.
Levels of achievement are:
  • Honor Roll: term GPA of 3.00 to 3.39
  • Dean’s List: term GPA of 3.40 to 3.84
  • President’s List: term GPA of 3.85 or higher
Grades of P, NP, and INC do not count toward recognition of academic achievement.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Institutional Academic Progress (IAP)

Institutional Academic Progress (IAP) is the institution’s policy regarding a student’s academic progress. IAP is not the same as Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), which is the status that students using financial assistance must maintain in order to receive funding from financial aid. A student is considered in good academic standing when they are making satisfactory academic progress, such as maintaining a 2.0 GPA each term and passing the required number of credits based on his/her enrollment level, which is 66.67% of the credits they are enrolled in for that term. IAP requires a student to maintain satisfactory academic progress every term of attendance. If a student does not maintain good academic standing he/she will be placed on Academic Alert Status, Academic Warning Status, or Academic Suspension Status. More information about IAP can be obtained by viewing the IAP policy at or by contacting the registrar at 541-278-5757.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Credit for Prior Learning/Certification

The purpose of awarding credit for prior learning is to acknowledge and validate knowledge, skills, and competencies acquired by students through experience. With the exception of cooperative work experience (CWE) credits (see page 32), students receiving alternate credits are not eligible for state or federal aid for those credits.

The maximum credits that may be earned through a combination of credit by examination, advanced placement (AP), and military credit are no more than 25 percent of the credits needed for a certificate or degree. See degree checklists for more information.
Credit by Examination (CBE): To obtain credit for certain courses, you must be enrolled as a BMCC student taking at least one course for credit and satisfactorily pass a comprehensive examination or series of examinations. You may not obtain credit by examination (CBE) for a course at a lower level than one in which you have already demonstrated competency. Some courses are not eligible for this program. If you wish to obtain
credit in this manner, you must pay a fee in addition to any other tuition and fees that you may have paid in that term. Contact the Office of Instruction, at 541-278-5969, for more information. Students are limited to 15 CBE credits. CBE credits are reflected on BMCC’s transcripts with the exam identifier of (CH) next to the course title. Example: ART204 (CH)
Credit for Prior Certification/Learning (CPL): Up to 10 credits may be awarded for certifications received in the Early Childhood Education field. Documentation is required. If awarded, these credits are reflected on BMCC’s transcripts with a grade of “P” and with the identifier of (CPL) next to the course title. Example: ECE226 (CPL). For more information about this option contact our ECE Department at 541-278-5921 or 541-278-5957. 
Advanced Placement (AP) Test: You may earn credit for certain courses by taking tests administered by the Advanced Placement (AP) program sponsored by the College Board. Below is a list of approved AP courses, AP minimum scores, and advanced placement action. AP credits are reflected on BMCC’s transcripts with a grade of P and with the exam identifier of (AP) next to the course title. Example: ART204 (AP).
To receive AP credit you must:
  • Request that your AP scores be sent from the College Board to BMCC. Scores are accepted for up to three years after the exam date.
  • Be enrolled at BMCC in at least one credit course.
  • Pay the AP course transcription fee of $10 per course.
  • Complete and return an advanced placement credit form to BMCC.
Please contact the Registrar’s Office at 541-278-5757 or email for additional information.
Subject AP Score Advanced Placement Action BMCC
Art - History


ART 204, 205 8
Art - Studio 4+ ART 101 4
Biology 4+ BIO 101, 102, 103 12
Calculus AB 3 MTH 251 4
Calculus AB 4+ MTH 251, 252 8
Calculus BC 3 MTH 251, 252 8
Calculus BC 4+ MTH 251, 252, 253 12
Chemistry 3+ CH 104, 105, 106 15
Computer Science A 4+ CS 161 4
English Language - Composition 3+ WR 121 4

English Language - Literature

3+ ENG 104 4
Environmental Science 3+ GS 142 4
Government - U.S. 4 PS 201 4
History - U.S. 3+

HST 201, 202

History - World 3+ HST 104, 105 6
Human Geography 3+ GEOG 103 4
Macro Economics 3+ EC 202 4
Micro Economics 3+ EC 201 4
Music Theory 4+ MUS 111, 112 8
Physics B 4+ PHY 201, 202, 203 15
Physics C - Electricity & Magnetism 4+ PHY 201 5
Physics C - Mechanics 4+ PHY 201 5


PSY 201 4
Spanish Language 3+ SPAN 101, 102, 103 12
Statistics 4+ MTH 243 4

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP): You may earn College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) credit for certain courses by taking the CLEP exams sponsored by the College Board. Below is a list of BMCC's approved CLEP exams, minimum scores, number of possible credits granted, and corresponding BMCC course equivalencies. CLEP credits are reflected on BMCC’s transcripts with a grade of P and with the exam identifier of (CL) next to the course title. Example: ART204 (CL).

To receive CLEP credit you must:

  • Request your CLEP scores be sent from the College Board to BMCC. Scores are accepted for up to three years after the exam date.
  • Be enrolled at BMCC in at least one credit course.
  • Pay the CLEP course transcription fee of $10 per course.
  • Complete and return a CLEP credit form to BMCC.

Please contact the Registrar’s Office at 541-278-5757 or email for additional information.

Exam Subject
Credit BMCC Course Equivalency
Infomation System & Computer Applications  -  - No credit awarded
Principles of Management 50 4 BA 206
Principles of Accounting 50 12 BA 211, 212, 213
Introductory Business Law 50 4 BA 226
Principles of Marketing 50 4 BA 223
Composition and Literature
Composition and Literature 50 12 ENG 253, 254, 255
English Literature (with essay) 50 12 ENG 204, 205, 206
History and Social Sciences
American Government 50 4 PS 201
History of the U.S. I 50 4 HST 201
American History II 50


HST 203
w/Part 1 test HST 201, 202, 203
General Psychology 50 8 PSY 201, 202
Human Growth and Development 50 4 PSY 237
Principles of Microeconomics 50 4 EC 201
Principles of Macroeconomics 50 4 EC 202
Introduction to Sociology 50 4 SOC 204

Military Credit (MIL): Military credit will be evaulated according to American Council of Education guidelines. In most cases, credit will only be considered when it is equivalent to a course offered by BMCC. Military credits are reflected on BMCC’s transcripts with a grade of “P” and with the identifier of (MIL) next to the course title. Example: PE184 (MIL).

(Information based on the 2013-14 BMCC Academic Catalog)

Transfer Credits

Transferring Credits to BMCC
To have credits earned from other colleges evaluated towards your certificate/degree intent at BMCC, you will need to complete BMCC’s Transcript Evaluation Request form. You will also need to request that official transcripts be sent from other colleges to BMCC’s Registrar’s Office. Official transcripts must include both a
signature from the issuing institution and its authorized seal and be delivered to BMCC in a sealed envelope.
In general, BMCC accepts college-level credits earned at regionally-accredited colleges or universities. Your accepted credits will become a part of your permanent academic record at BMCC and will be noted on your official grade transcript at the time a certificate or degree is earned. Grades earned from BMCC and other colleges that are applied towards a specific certificate or degree will be used to compute your grade point average for that specific program only. In all other cases, only grades earned at BMCC are used to compute your
cumulative GPA.
If you have taken the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or the Advanced Placement (AP) test, request that your scores be forwarded to the registrar’s office. Exams must have been taken within 3 years of the date you are requesting credit. Credits received for AP, CLEP, or military experience at other colleges and universities will not be accepted. You must have your exam scores and or official military transcripts sent directly to BMCC. For more on CLEP and AP information see this link
Transferring Credits from BMCC
Up to 120 lower division transfer credit hours earned at a community college may transfer and be accepted toward graduation requirements by colleges and universities of the Oregon University System (OUS): University of Oregon, Oregon State University, Portland State University, Eastern Oregon  University, Western Oregon University, Southern Oregon University, and Oregon Institute of Technology. In order to facilitate a smooth transition from BMCC be sure to discuss transferability of courses with your academic advisor and the school to which you wish to transfer to.
(Information based on the 2013-14 BMCC Academic Catalog)

Appeal of Graduation Requirements

If you are pursuing an associate of applied science degree and would like to request a course substitution to meet program requirements, you must discuss this request with your advisor. If the advisor considers the request appropriate, he/she will complete the necessary paperwork, and then obtain the approval and signature of the vice president of instruction. The registrar’s office will process the information, once approved, and it will become a part of your permanent record.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)


You are responsible for fulfilling the requirements for graduation and should work with your advisor to ensure that you have or will complete the degree and/or certificate requirements. 

As a candidate for graduation, you are required to complete and return an Application for Certificate/Degree Completion. You are encouraged to submit your application at least two terms prior to the term in which you expect to complete your program requirements (refer to the academic calendar in the catalog for specific deadline dates). This allows your academic advisor to assist you in selecting coursework necessary to meet
your graduation requirements. Completed applications may be submitted to any BMCC location.
Upon the college’s receipt and processing of your application form, the registrar will notify you and your advisor mail and or email that your official degree audit has been completed. Should there be any discrepancy, you and your advisor will be asked to notify the registrar as soon as possible. A graduation file will be established for you at that time. Your degree audit becomes your official degree check-off for degree completion purposes. 
If you do not complete and return the Application for Certificate/Degree completion and the registrar finds that you have completed all coursework necessary to complete your indicated program of study, the college will grant degrees and/or certificates upon completion of those requirements. Opting out of an institutional award requires completing the appropriate request through the registrar’s office. Multiple credentials may be institutionally awarded within your program of study.
Degrees and certificates become official when recorded on your transcript. Certificates and diplomas will be mailed to the address listed on your application within two months after final grades have been posted and reviewed.
If you do not complete your degree requirements in the term and year identified on your application, the registrar will identify and notify you and your advisor of your final graduation requirements. Your application be considered active for a period of one (1) year from your intended date of graduation.
If you have not graduated after one year, your application will be considered inactive and you will be required to reapply for graduation and pay any fees in effect at the time of reapplication.
If you graduate with more than one degree, you must complete a separate application form for each degree you plan to complete. 
Computer Literacy Requirement
All students completing a one-year certificate or two-year degree program are required to meet our computer literacy requirement prior to graduating. There are two options to meet this requirement. They are:
  • Take and pass the IC3 Exam: score an average of 75% or higher on IC3 exams OR
  • Take and pass one of the following courses with a grade of “C” or better: AGR111, CS120, BA131, or ED235.
  • Students completing the IC3 Exam with a score of 85% or higher are eligible to request the Credit-By-Exam (CBE) option. Students must complete and return the CBE form along with payment to the Pendleton Service Center.
  • Students with an average score of 85-90 percent will receive a grade of B and those with an average score of 91-100 percent will receive a grade of A. CBE credits are reflected on BMCC’s transcripts with the exam identifier of (CH) next to the course title. Example: CS120 (CH)
Additional Guidelines:
BMCC reviews and updates degree requirements annually. Please note that some of the requirements for graduation may change if your studies are interrupted by one or more years and/or if a course of study extends beyond five years. Depending upon the college certificate or degree, you may be asked to complete updated requirements.
The following table outlines which catalog you may use in determining degree requirements for graduation.
Catalog of year started
Catalog of year re-started Catalog of year Graduating

1. Attend concurrently for less than five academic years;
2. Break of enrollment of no more than one academic year.

X  X X
Re-attend after a break of enrollment of more than 1 academic year.   X X

1. Attend concurrently for no longer than five academic years;
2. Have no breaks of enrollment of more than one academic year.

X   X
1. Attend for longer than five academic years;
2. Has break of enrollment of more than one academic year
  X X
Honors at Graduation
Students with exceptional academic qualifications may participate in our commencement ceremony with honors or high honors designation. This designation appears on thecommencement program and applies to all of BMCC’s degrees and certificates for academic, career, and technical programs. To qualify, you must have attended at least two terms and have earned at least 24 credit hours at BMCC (may be less for programs of less than two years in length). Honors designations are:
  • Honors: cumulative GPA of 3.40 to 3.84
  • High Honors: cumulative GPA of 3.85 or higher
Only the courses used to meet your certificate or degree requirements will be counted in the cumulative GPA calculation which may include courses accepted for transfer from other colleges. The calculation is performed on all courses completed the term prior to your stated term of degree completion. 
Example 1: If the anticipated term of graduation is spring term 2014, your GPA will be calculated at the end of winter term 2014. If you meet one of the above-referenced GPA requirements, you qualify to walk in the spring commencement ceremony with an honors designation.
Example 2: If the anticipated term of graduation is summer term 2014, you will not qualify to walk in the 2014 commencement ceremony with an honors designation as spring grades will not have been posted prior to the commencement ceremony.
Example 3: If you plan to complete your requirements no later than summer 2014, you may walk in the spring 2013 commencement ceremony but will not qualify to walk with either honors designation. If, however, you believe that you may qualify for honors designation by the end of summer 2014, you may want to consider walking in the 2015 commencement ceremony.
Commencement Ceremony
BMCC’s commencement ceremony is held each year in June on the last day of spring term. Our spring 2014 ceremony will be held on Friday, June 13, 2014 at 7 p.m. on the Pendleton campus. Students who have completed or will complete all of their certificate and/or degree requirements during or prior to summer 2014 are eligible to participate in our 2013 ceremony. Those completing requirements as of fall 2014 or later are invited to
participate in the following year’s ceremony.
Final Honors Distinction on Official Transcript
Students with exceptional academic qualifications may qualify to complete their designated program of study with honors or high honors designation. This designation appears on your official grade transcript and may apply to all earned degrees and certificates for academic, career, and technical programs.
To qualify, you must have attended at least two terms and have earned at least 24 credit hours at BMCC (may be less for programs of less than two years in length). Honors designations are:
  • Honors: cumulative GPA of 3.40 to 3.84
  • High Honors: cumulative GPA of 3.85 or higher
Only those courses used to meet your certificate or degree requirements will be counted in the cumulative GPA calculation which may include courses accepted for transfer from other regionally accredited colleges. The calculation is performed on all courses completed through your final term of program completion.
Suspended Programs of Study
If BMCC suspends your program of study and if you are eligible for “teach-out” assistance as determined by the college, BMCC will work with you to help you complete the program within three years. Methods and types of assistance will vary by individual circumstance and will be available only to eligible students. Following the three-year period, if you have not satisfied your degree requirements for that certificate/degree but still wish to obtain a certificate/degree, you must either apply your earned credits to a different BMCC program or transfer them to another institution. Contact the registrar to determine eligibility.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

College Costs

Tuition and Fees

Tuition and fees are subject to BMCC Board of Education policy and may be changed at any time. Please refer to for the most accurate tuition and fee schedule, or call the college at 541-278-5759 to obtain current rates.

Paying Tuition

Tuition and fees are payable in full by cash, check, or credit card (Visa or MasterCard) by the end of the fifth class day of each term, or the equivalent percentage of days of terms or classes of varying length. Students may also use financial aid funds or thirdparty agency funds to pay their tuition and fees if they are eligible for these funds. Payments can be made at any location, by mail, or through the Student WolfWeb.
Deferred (Tuition) Installment Plan: BMCC’s tuition installment payment plan is designed to assist students in paying their tuition and fees by setting a reasonable timetable and structure for payment. Students may sign up for this installment plan at any BMCC location or through the BMCC Website. An agreement is not binding for the college until a representative of the Business Office has signed the completed form. Upon signature, BMCC will return a copy of the official signed installment plan to the student. The installment plan will consist of a down payment of $100 plus a $20 processing fee. The balance of tuition and fees will be paid in two installments due at the fourth and seventh week of the term (or equivalent for terms of varying length). Late fee penalties of $15 will be charged for each late payment.
Late Fee/Interest Penalties: Students who have not paid or made payment arrangements by the end of the fifth class day or the equivalent day of terms or classes of varying length will be assessed late fees. The fee is 3% of the balance due assessed monthly until the balance is paid. The minimum charge is $10,
and the maximum charge is $75 per term. 
Stop-Payment Fees for Financial Aid Refund Checks: If you are eligible for a financial aid refund check and it does not arrive at the address indicated on your student account after ten days from the date of issuance by the college, BMCC will re-issue the check without charge to you. If you wish the college to re-issue the check before the 10-day period is over, BMCC will charge you a $35 stop-payment fee.
Financial Holds: If your student account is not paid in-full by the beginning of pre-registration for the upcoming academic term, a financial hold will be placed on your account preventing you from registering for the upcoming term. Other financial holds may be placed on your account if items are not returned to departments at the College (such as the Library or the MAC Center) or if you have a bad address listed on your Student WolfWeb account.
Please contact the Service Center on how to resolve the financial hold on your account.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Tuition Refund Policy

Students who withdraw from the College or from college courses, and who have complied with regulations governing withdrawals are entitled to certain tuition refunds depending on the time of withdrawal. Tuition refunds are calculated as follows:
  • First five (5) days of the term for an 11-week course or the equivalent day of the term for courses of varying length. = 100%
  • After the first five (5) days of the term for an 11-week course or the equivalent day of the term for courses of varying length. = 0%

(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Financial Assistance

Federal School Code: 003186

Blue Mountain Community College’s Office of Student Financial Assistance is located in Morrow Hall on the Pendleton campus and can be accessed through the Service Center. Please check the BMCC Website for hours of operation. You may contact the Service Center by phone at 541-278-5759 or the Office of Student Financial Assistance by email at The Office of Student Financial Assistance staff and the Service Center Staff are available to students for assistance in applying for and receiving the following sources of financial aid:
  • Federal and state aid
  • Certification of veterans’ education benefits
  • Student employment
  • BMCC tuition scholarships (athletic, music, drama, and skills
  • challenge)
  • Miscellaneous private scholarships

(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Federal and State Aid

BMCC participates in the following types of federal and state aid:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • Federal Work Study
  • Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
  • Federal Direct PLUS (Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students)
  • Oregon Opportunity Grant (OOG)

Applying for Federal and State Aid: Students must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year in order to receive aid. Students may apply online at, or they may complete and submit a paper application. Be sure to include BMCC’s Federal School Code (003186) so that BMCC receives the FAFSA information. Applying online can reduce the amount of time for processing financial aid by approximately eight weeks. Note: January 1 is the first day of the financial aid application period for the next academic year. Refer to the “Dates & Deadlines” link on the BMCC Financial Assistance Webpage for more details.

Disbursement of Aid: Aid is disbursed (credited to student accounts) one week prior to the start of a term so that students can access their funds for the purchase of books in the BMCC bookstore. If students have a credit balance on their student account after all charges have been covered, including any books they have purchased, they will receive a check for the balance of their financial assistance funds. Checks are mailed by the 2nd Friday of the term. For actual disbursement dates, refer to the “Dates & Deadlines” link on the BMCC Office of Student FinancialAssistance Webpage for more details. 
Aid-Ineligible Courses: For some degree programs, certain courses may not count toward financial aid eligibility. Students should work closely with their academic advisors and take only courses that apply toward their stated degree intent. 
Mid-Year Transfer Students: If you transfer to BMCC during the academic year and received financial aid at the previous college, you should be aware that the BMCC financial assistance office will adjust your award amount accordingly to avoid an overpayment. For most mid-year transfer students, the federal or state aid award
at BMCC will be reduced by the amount of aid received at the previous college.
Taking Courses at BMCC and Another Institution (Coenrollment): If you are planning to take courses from BMCC
and another college during the same term, you must complete a consortium agreement form and provide proof of registration for each class taken at another college. Once processed, the consortium agreement is valid for one academic year; however, you must submit proof of registration each term of that year for each college from which you plan to take courses. Forms and additional information regarding co-enrollment are at
Second Degree: If you have received an associate’s, bachelor’s, or master’s degree and wish to receive financial aid from BMCC, you must complete a Length of Time (LOT)/Second Degree appeal and submit it, along with appropriate documentation, to the Office of Student Financial Assistance. You will be notified in writing of the decision made. This process does not guarantee an award. Depending upon the kind of degree that you already hold, your aid, if awarded, may be limited to loans.
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP): The Office of Student Financial Assistance is responsible for ensuring that all students who receive federal and state aid are demonstrating satisfactory progress toward the completion of their educational programs. The office will review a student’s SAP before making awards each 
academic year and again at the end of each term. The standards of SAP apply for all state and federal financial assistance programs including Federal Pell Grant, Federal-Work Study (FWS), Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Direct Loans (Stafford and PLUS) and Oregon Opportunity Grant (OOG).
Students are evaluated on all of the following standards:
  • Cumulative Credit Completion Rate (cCCR).
  • Cumulative Grade Point Average (cGPA).
  • Maximum time frame (150% Rule).
Students must meet all three progress requirements (cCCR, cGPA, and be within the maximum time frame) to remain in good standing. Students not meeting the requirements will be placed on Financial Aid Warning or Suspension status during their next term of enrollment and will receive, in writing from the Office of Student Financial Assistance, a notice of such standing. For additional information regarding this policy and for more
detailed information about financial aid, please visit BMCC’s Website or contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance. 
Total Withdrawal and Return of Federal Aid: If you withdraw from or quit attending all classes in a term before completing more than 60.01 percent of the term for which you received aid, BMCC will recalculate your aid award based upon the percentage of the term completed. For example, if you withdraw after completing only 30 percent of the term, you will have earned only 30 percent of your federal aid received (other than Federal Work Study). You and/or BMCC, as determined by college and federal rules, must return (repay) to the federal government the
remaining 70 percent of the federal funds received. This policy applies to all students receiving federal Title IV aid who withdraw, drop out, or are suspended from BMCC. Types of federal Title IV funds that students can receive while attending BMCC included in this policy are: Federal Pell Grant, FSEOG, and Federal Direct
Stafford Loans.
For additional information regarding this policy and for more detailed information about financial aid, please visit BMCC’s Website, click on “Students,” “Financial Assistance,” then “Policies.” 

(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)



Other Financial Assistance

Other Financial Assistance
Foundation Scholarships
The Blue Mountain Community College Foundation offers scholarships to both full- and part-time students. Scholarship information and scholarship applications are posted on the college Website. Most full-time scholarships are awarded during spring term for the next academic year. Scholarships for parttime
students may be available each term. An applicant must be enrolled before a scholarship can be awarded. Stipulations concerning financial need, credit hours, grade point average, and area of study may apply.
(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)

Military Educational Benefits


Military Educational Benefits
BMCC assists veterans and family members of veterans with three primary types of benefits:
  • United States Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits – Students apply for these benefits through the VA, and the BMCC Financial Assistance Office certifies them. Benefits are paid directly to the student by the VA.
  • Oregon Veteran Educational Aid Program (Tuition Assistance) – Students apply for this benefit through the State Veterans’ Affairs Office, and the benefit is paid by the state directly to the school to be applied towards the students’ tuition and fees.
  • BMCC tuition waivers for military and qualifying family members – students apply for one of these three waivers through BMCC. Forms are available on the BMCC Website. The BMCC Registrar’s Office reviews these requests. 
Since each of these three types of benefits are administered by different agencies and/or offices, they have distinctly different processes for accessing. The following is a guide for requesting and receiving each of these benefits:
VA Educational Benefits:
General Information about applying: In order to receive VA educational benefits, veterans must:
  • Take the BMCC placement test to determine proper course placement before enrollment
  • Be assigned an academic advisor
  • Be pursuing a BMCC degree or certificate 
To begin receiving educational benefits, veterans must:
  • Apply for VA Education Benefits online
  • Complete 2011-2012 Enrollment Certification
  • Read the Statement of Rights and Responsibilities Additional documents needed:
  • Those discharged from active duty also provide a copy of ‘Certificate of Eligibility’ letter from the VA or DD-214
  • Active members of the National Guard and Reserves also provide a copy of their Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)
Return forms to:
Mail: BMCC Veterans Certifying Official,
P.O. Box 100, Pendleton, OR 97801
Fax: 541-278-5889
Processing: Please allow two to three weeks for processing and certification of your enrollment to the VA. Benefits are paid directly to the student. It is important that you are aware of tuition payment deadlines and payment options.
Pay Table: Rates of pay depend on the veteran’s chapter and on his or her enrollment level. BMCC will inform the VA of any enrollment changes during the term, which may result in adjustments to the monthly allowance. It is the veteran’s responsibility to report any changes to the veterans certifying official.
Pay rates are updated each year, usually in October. Veterans may be eligible for additional tuition assistance, or “kickers.” Contact the VA directly at 1-888-442-4551 for specific payment questions.
Chapter 30 - Discharged from Active Duty
Chapter 1606 - Selected Reserve
Chapter 1607 - Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
Chapter 35 - Survivors’ and Dependents’ Education Assistance
Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill
Advance Pay Request: Veterans who need financial assistance to begin classes may request advance pay for the first term. Requests must be made four to six weeks before the beginning of the term. With advance pay, veterans are paid for the first two months of the term; however, the VA payments are based on the number of days that the veteran was enrolled for a given month. For example, if fall term begins the last week of September, the advance paycheck would be for part of September and all of October. The advance check is sent directly to the BMCC Business Office.
Certification Periods: The veterans certifying official will certify based on BMCC’s official academic calendar. Some courses vary in length. The veterans certifying official will certify enrollment according to each course’s beginning and ending dates, which may affect the rate of pay.
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP): The veterans certifying official at BMCC is responsible for ensuring that all students who receive VA benefits are demonstrating satisfactory progress toward the completion of their educational programs. The office will review a student’s SAP before making awards each academic year and again at the end of each term. The standards of SAP are the same as those for all state and federal financial assistance programs listed above.
Oregon Veterans - Tuition Assistance
The Oregon Department of Veterans’ Affairs provides educational benefits for pursuit of approved training courses.
Benefits will be paid for as many months as the veteran spent in active service, up to a maximum of 36 months. Veterans who qualify for the program are entitled to receive up to $150 per month.
ODVA’s educational aid will not be paid if the veteran is currently receiving federal educational benefits under any federal act. Payment Amounts:
  • Full-time students are entitled to receive up to $150 per month.
  • Part-time students are entitled to receive up to $100 per month.
School criteria determine full-time and part-time status.
Eligibility Requirements:
  • Active duty in the Armed Forces of the U.S. for not less than 90 days; and
  • Released from military service under honorable conditions; and
  • Resident of Oregon when applying for state educational aid; and
  • Citizen of the United States; and
  • Served during the Korean War (June 25, 1950 to January 31, 1955) or after June 30, 1958.
Getting Started:
Eligibility forms, application forms, and counseling about Oregon educational aid for veterans are available by calling 1-800-692-9666, or go to
BMCC Military Tuition Waivers:
BMCC, with the purpose of enhancing student support while providing a premier learning environment, provides military tuition waivers to honor returning veterans and the dependents of deployed, disabled, and fallen military service members.
Veteran: any Oregon resident who is a member of the United States armed services and is currently on active duty or is an Oregon resident who has been honorably discharged. Veterans will register in the same manner as all other students.
Disabled Veteran: 100% disabled as a result of a militaryconnected disability as certified by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs or any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States, or fallen while in military service.
Dependent: spouse or any unmarried child under the age of 24 of a deployed veteran, a 100% disabled veteran (as described above), or a veteran who died as a result of military connected disability or service.
This tuition waiver is for 50% of the tuition costs for credit courses during the student’s first year of his/her degree program at BMCC, unless these costs are covered by the Montgomery GI Bill or tuition assistance.
The student must be taking a minimum of three credits; the tuition waiver will apply to a maximum of twelve credits per term. All credits taken over twelve in a term will be at full cost to the student. The student must apply for the tuition waiver each term.
The student’s year will begin with the first term in which the student commences degree course work and will end after four consecutive terms. If a student chooses to attend for fewer than the four given terms, his/her eligibility is still exhausted after the fourth consecutive term.
This waiver will not cover fees and AFEES (i.e., fees for non-credit classes).
If the student is co-enrolled, this tuition waiver covers only the cost of BMCC courses.
The waiver cannot exceed the number of credits required for an associate’s degree.
The prospective student must reside within the BMCC service area, which includes Umatilla, Morrow, Baker, Grant, and Wallowa counties.
If the veteran is called to active duty, he/she will have the choice of continuing course work via distance education or re-entering the program upon his/her return. Returning veterans who were enrolled in limited-entry programs will be allowed re-entry if the program allows and if the curriculum has not undergone significant changes.
To Apply:
Veterans: To receive a tuition waiver, each term a veteran must present current identification card or discharge papers (DD214) to the Registrar’s Office along with the completed waiver form.
Dependents: To receive a tuition waiver, each term the prospective student must present proof of the residency and death or 100% disability of the Oregon service member, proof of his/her campaign service (DD Form #214), and proof of his/her dependent status to the Registrar’s Office along with the completed waiver form, which can be found on BMCC’s Website at
Important links:

(Information based on the printed 2013-14 Academic Catalog)