Policy II. D. - Role of the Board Chair
The responsibilities of the Chair are: (a) the integrity of the Board's process and (b) occasional representation of the Board to outside parties. The Chair is the only Board member authorized to speak for the Board (beyond simply reporting Board decisions) other than in rare and specifically authorized instances.
- The Chair shall ensure that the Board and individual Board members consistently act in accordance with the Board's own rules and policies and those legitimately imposed upon the Board from outside the College.
- At Board meetings, the Chair shall preside in an efficient and effective manner and shall set the general tone through positive leadership.
- Discussion at the Board meetings will be on those issues which, according to Board policy, belong to the Board, not to the President, to decide.
- Deliberation will be fair, open, and thorough, but also efficient, timely, orderly, and to the point.
- The Chair will stimulate discussion among the Board members and will attempt to arrive at Board decisions through consensus.
- The Chair will confirm accuracy of transcribed, approved minutes, will sign the minutes of all special and regular meetings of the Board, and will sign other documents as required by law.
- The Chair has the authority to make decisions that fall within the topics covered by Board policies on Governance Process and Board-Staff Relationship, except where the Board specifically delegates portions of this authority to others. The Chair is authorized to use any reasonable interpretation of the provisions in these policies.
- The Chair has no authority to make decisions about policies created by the Board within Ends and Executive Limitations policy areas.
- The Chair has no authority to supervise or direct the President.
- The Chair shall ensure that the other Board members are informed of current and pending Board issues and processes.
- The Chair will prepare the agenda for all Board meetings after consultation with the President and with other Board members.
- The Chair shall call special meetings as required.
- The Chair shall appoint members of committees established by the Board.
- No member shall serve as Chair for more than two (2) years in succession.
- The Vice-Chair will preside at Board meetings in the absence of the Chair or to fulfill the duties of the Chair as needed.
Adopted 5/19/99 Revised 06/06/07