PURPOSE AND INTENT:
The purpose of this section is to ensure that students have access to affordable course materials by decreasing costs to students and enhancing transparency and disclosure with respect to the selection, purchase, sale, and use of course materials. It is the intent of this section to encourage all of the involved parties, including faculty, students, administrators, institutions of higher education, bookstores, distributors, and publishers, to work together to identify ways to decrease the cost of college textbooks and supplemental materials for students while supporting the academic freedom of faculty members to select high quality course materials for students.
The Publisher shall provide to faculty:
SubSec C 1 - Textbook Pricing
- The cost to the Bookstore to purchase the book.
- The price the Publisher sells the book to the public at.
- Copyright dates of three previous editions.
- A description of substantial content revisions between the current and previous edition of the textbook.
- Whether the book or supplemental material is available in any other format (paperback, unbound, e-book, etc.) and the price to the Bookstore and the general public for these other formats.
SubSec C 2 - Unbundling of Supplemental Materials
A publisher that sells a college textbook and any supplemental material accompanying such college textbook as a single bundle shall also make available the college textbook
SubSec C 3 - Custom Textbooks
To the maximum extent practicable, a publisher shall provide the information required under this subsection with respect to the development and provision of custom textbooks.
SubSec D - PROVISION OF ISBN COLLEGE TEXTBOOK INFORMATION IN COURSE SCHEDULES
To the maximum extent practicable, each institution of higher education receiving Federal financial assistance shall:
- Disclose, on the institution’s Internet course schedule and in a manner of the institution’s choosing, the International Standard Book Number and retail price information of required and recommended college textbooks and supplemental materials for each course listed in the institution’s course schedule used for preregistration and registration purposes, except that— if the ISBN is not available then author, title, publisher and copyright or “To Be Determined” indicated when information is not available.
- If applicable, include on the institution’s written course schedule a notice that textbook information is available on the institution’s Internet course schedule, and the Internet address for such schedule.
SubSec E - AVAILABILITY OF INFORMATION FOR COLLEGE BOOKSTORES
An institution of higher education receiving Federal financial assistance shall make available to a college bookstore that is operated by, or in a contractual relationship or otherwise affiliated with, the institution, as soon as is practicable upon the request of such college bookstore, the most accurate information available regarding :
- Institution’s course schedule for subsequent academic period.
- For each course or class offered, the ISBN for the course materials, number of students enrolled and enrollment limit for each course.
SubSec F -ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
An institution disclosing the information required by subsection (d) (1) is encouraged to disseminate to students information regarding:
- Available institutional programs for renting textbooks or for purchasing used textbooks;
- Available institutional guaranteed textbook buy-back programs;
- Available institutional alternative content delivery programs; or
- Other available institutional cost-saving strategies.