Placement, Advising, and Registration FAQs



Placement Assessment and Testing


How do I get started at BMCC?

Go to, WolfWeb, and then New Student Admissions to complete the admissions form online. Once that is completed, request official transcripts to be sent to BMCC from any other colleges you have attended and complete a Transcript Evaluation Form. Next steps are to apply for FAFSA, if needed, take the placement tests and have the Advising & Testing Center assign you an advisor. Once you meet with your advisor you can register for classes.

"Getting Started" in the catalog (which is available online) outlines these steps and will refer you to pages in the catalog that go into more detail about each of these steps.

When do I register for classes?

Registration information is posted on our website at; it is also in the front of the course catalog; and is available from the front counter at each BMCC location.

What if I am not here when BMCC starts registration?

If you have not moved to Pendleton yet, or are taking Distance Education classes and live some distance away from campus, special arrangements can be made to have a phone advising session. Since registration is online, you can do it from anywhere you have internet access.

Where do I register for classes?

You can register online on our website at Information will be available on the web to show you how and will also be covered in the Timberwolf Introduction (TwI) Program offered each term.

I don't have a computer at home. How am I supposed to register?

Computer kiosks are available at all BMCC campuses and branches for your use. If you do not live near a BMCC site, then you can usually find a public use computer at a city or county library near you.

How long does it take to do the placement assessment?

There are actually three different assessments. The math, the reading, and the writing assessment can take up to 3 hours to complete. Students are encouraged to do them all at once, but if you absolutely cannot be here that long, then you can start and finish later, or just do one assessment at a time.

Do I need to take placement assessment and why?

Placement assessments are mandatory if you plan to take math or writing classes. They are required to prevent you from taking a class that is too easy or too difficult. You do not need to placement assessment if you have 1) completed an Associate of Arts or a Bachelor of Science Degree, or 2) have taken a math and/or writing class from another college and passed with a "C: or better, or 3) have taken a math and/or writing class for college credit at your high school, receiving a "C" grade or better. However, even if you have a degree, but it's been several years since taking a math or writing class, taking the placement assessment is recommended.

What if I have taken a placement assessment at another college or have taken the prerequisite math and writing classes at another college?

In most cases we can allow the assessments or classes taken at another college to meet the prerequisites for our math and writing classes. You can get a copy of the placement assessment or an unofficial transcript from the college and attach it to a completed "Transfer Prerequisite Override" form which can be found on the BMCC website under "Forms for Students". This can be turned into any BMCC Service Center and will be completed within 24-48 hours. Once it is completed, you can proceed to registering online.

Do I need to make an appointment to take the placement assessment or to have a class test proctored?

Monday through Thursday are drop-in days, however, you can call ahead to make sure the test you wish to take is here. Fridays the Testing Center is closed.

Do I need to bring anything with me when I come in to take a test?

You will be required to show a picture ID prior to testing. We do have calculators for your use, but you can bring your own if you wish.

What are the placement assessment and testing center hours?

For testing hours at any branch other than Pendleton, call that branch directory or refer to the hours posted on the center website.

Does it cost anything to take a test in the Testing Center?

There is $10 fee for placement assessment and no charge for proctored testing for distance education classes from BMCC or other colleges. Fees do exist for outside testing; Go to the Testing Center website for more information.

How do I get an advisor?

If you are a new student, once you have completed an online admission and taken the placement test, you will be assigned an advisor by the staff in Advising.

If you are a returning student and need an advisor or would like to switch advisors, call 541-278-5931, or come to the Advising and Testing Center in Pendleton, Morrow Hall, Room M-117 to get a new assignment.

Who is my Academic Advisor?

If you view your printable student schedule, your Advisor's name will show in the top right hand corner, or any Service Center or Advising Center staff can look this information up for you.

What does meeting with an Academic Advisor mean?

Once you have selected your degree intent, whether it is Business Administration, an Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer, or Undecided... you will communicate one on one with an Academic Advisor and together you will ensure that the courses that you have selected to take will help you progress towards our educational goal.

What if I'm not seeking a degree or certificate?

If you are not seeking a degree or certificate from BMCC, ensure that your degree intent in WolfWeb is set to "Just Taking Classes". You will not need to meet with an academic advisor; however it is recommended that you still do.

What should I do before my Advising Appointment?

Review the current class schedule, be thinking about what career's interest you, and come prepared to chat.

What happens during the Advising Appointment?

During the appointment, your Academic Advisor will ask you questions about:

  • Career Possibilities
  • Interests
  • Time Availability
  • Preferences regarding Class Types (distance education, on-campus)
  • What you'd like to do after you have achieved your educational goal

What do I do after an Advising Appointment?

Register for classes selected by accessing WolfWeb or by fill out a Registration Form. If you have questions or trouble registering contact your Academic Advisor or the Service Center.