Oregon Veterans Education Benefit
Information on this page taken from the Oregon Department of Veterans Affairs Website. For more information, please visit their website here.
- The Oregon Department of Veterans Affairs provides educational benefits for pursuit of approved training courses.
- Benefits will be paid for as many months as the veteran spent in active service, up to a maximum of 36 months. Veterans who qualify for the program are entitled to receive up to $150 per month.
ODVA’s Educational Aid will not be paid if the veteran is currently receiving federal educational benefits under any federal act.
- Full-time students are entitled to receive up to $150 per month.
- Part-time students are entitled to receive up to $100 per month.
- School criteria determines full-time and part-time status.
- Active duty in the Armed Forces of the U.S. for not less than 90 days; and
- Released from military service under honorable conditions; and
- Is a resident of Oregon when applying for State Educational Aid; and
- Is a citizen of the United States; and
- Served during the Korean War (June 25, 1950 to January 31, 1955) or after June 30, 1958.
To apply for educational aid you must first complete an Eligibility Form (Form 1004-ME) and submit it to ODVA along with a certified copy of your DD 214 or Report of Separation from the Armed Forces. Either of these documents must show the length and character of service. Please note that the Form 1004-ME and the DD214 needs to be submitted only one time.
Download Eligibility Form (1004-ME)
Once you have received your eligibility approval from the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs, you can then apply for educational aid. To do this, complete and submit the Oregon Veterans' Educational Aid Application (Form 1005-ME). This form must be completed and submitted to ODVA at the beginning of each new term or enrollment period to start and continue to receive benefits.
*Students are no longer required to submit Form 1005-ME to schools.
Download Application for Oregon Veterans Educational Aid Form (1005-ME)
Please submit all forms and documentation to:
Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs
Educational Aid Program
700 Summer St NE
Salem, OR 97301-1285
If you have any questions please call toll free at 1.800.828.8801 or 503.373.2085.
The training or education institution will be contacted monthly by our department. The institution's certifying official must certify you are in good standing and making satisfactory progress. When certified, the Oregon Department of Veterans Affairs will generate the monthly benefit.